Search the forum,

Discuss tap connector? jointing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rabu

Hi, when using a tap connector do they seal by just tightening? or do i need PTFE or jointing compound on threads? also does the rubber washer seal on its own or do i need any others? e.g: fibre. Thanks.

Flexy or hep tap connectors have the rubber washer on already and don't need anything else, copper soldered tap connectors need a fibre washer. Don't use jointing compounds on rubber washers they cause them to leak

Thanks. Would i still need PTFE on threads? also, just noticed when i turn hot water on it humms for 5-15 seconds, is this the washer in ball valve in cold tank? and if it is, is it best to replace all the ball valve? or just washer? as entire thing is probably quite old. thanks

with most ball valves you can undo them from the first nut on the inside of the tank they all fit each other, but make sure you get the remains of the old red washer out and put the new one in

Wet the fibre washer first, it will make a better seal slightly moistened.

i put the fibre washer on my little finger and wrap ptfe around in a few times then pop it off making sure that it still has a hole in the middle and pop it back on the tap connector

i put the fibre washer on my little finger and wrap ptfe around in a few times then pop it off making sure that it still has a hole in the middle and pop it back on the tap connector

i don't do this because i am a time served plumber and know it isn't necessary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

technically ptfe on a correctly joined compression fitting is not required, do you do that as well?

I just like to be safe rather than sorry, a fibre washer costs less than a penny to make and is made with the lowest of the low materials as such impurities are all over the place.

the time it takes to spin some ptfe round it siuts me

A Fibre washer on its on is fine its really just preference. the thing i hate the most is having fibre washers that dont fit on the EF tap connectors! frustrating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to tap connector? jointing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Z
I'm trying to remove the zone valve ion vented tank and the tank started leaking around the joint. I was hoping to just run the tank with immersion till I can get an unvented. Any tips to stop leaks or do you think I need to buy temporary tank. Any help appreciated as I'm without hot water now.
Replies
Views
zacwithleak
Z
    • Winner
Hi all, I joined today and am a newbie at plumbing DIY. Thought I'd share my experience replacing the stopcock under my sink. The old one looked very corroded around the tap handle. An Anglian Water engineer was at the property measuring my water pressure and flow rate. When he saw the...
Replies
Views
I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution I could see. I'm in Brisbane, Australia but I'm after general ideas from anyone here or in UK (I realise this is a UK based site). Point form...
Replies
Views
Ive fitted a new bottom entry fill valve to our en-suite toilet but i cant stop the dribble/leak from the inlet connection. Ive added a fair bit of ptfe but its still leaking, tightened it to its maximum etc and still im getting a dribble. Do you think i need more ptfe, add some joint compound...
Replies
Views
Ok I have been dealing with this problem for over a year and finally have to ask for some help as backflushing every 2 weeks or so is getting very tiresome. I live in a 60's flat (3 flats per side of the block so 6 flats in all) with two overhead water tanks in a tankhouse on the flat roof for...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock