Search the forum,

Discuss System boiler/hot water cylinder spec for large property in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tosanni

Hi there,

My hubby and I are in the middle of a renovation that's turned out to be the equivalent of a new build. We've had to change everything apart from the envelope including all the plumbing and electrics.

The property is approx 260sq m on 3 floors and has a total of 9 rooms, 2 kitchens, 4 bathrooms (bath and shower) and an open plan living room into one of the kitchens which is in the loft. We've made room for boiler cupboard in the loft and are planning to have a system boiler with a hot water cylinder. There's a total of 22 radiators including 4 heated towel rails in the bathrooms.

We have however had contradicting information on the size of tank required as well as the boiler size. Our fitter has advised to use a Valiant Boiler (Ecotec 637 and a 300l tank) however I have sought second opinion and was advised to double up on the fitters recommendation (i.e almost go for commercial sizes for both the tank and boiler) for the hot water and heating requirements.

Long story above I know, but I would appreciate some pointers on how to proceed with this.

Many thanks

Hi, and welcome.
Post is silent regarding mains water supply to building. 4 bathrooms plus 2 kitchens can use a lot of water, but if mains supply is 22mm to DHW cylinder, all outlets will not, simultaneously, give adequate flow. What flows out of tank is restricted to what flows in. Boiler size would permit one shower to be used continuously, reheating water as fast as it is used. The 300 litre cylinder gets depleted only when additional outlets are used.
Whats your current flow and mains pressure.

I would strongly advise you to have a proper set of designs done first.

Do not rely of a plumbing / heating company unless they can provide proof positive that they have designed as well as installed systems of a similar size & type as yours.

You really can't upscale heating (& for that matter hot water) systems for a standard type house to one the size of yours.

Time and again we have been asked to go in to pick up the pieces after these large boilers have been installed incorrectly.

You are going to be spending a lot of money on the kit alone, please don't waste your money & cause yourselves a lot of heartache for want of a few hundred quid at the beginning.

Welcome to the forum

Last edited:
Also just going off experience boiler too small cylinder will want 15-25kw that leaves you about 12kw for heating

A property that size will need a light commercial boiler have a look at worcester bosch GB 162 50 KW , the heating will need to be zoned up and paired up with a 300 litre unvented cylinder and 300 litre acumulator that way you can use multiple showers baths ect without a drop in pressure the hot water system will need a secondary return back to the cylinder to provide hot water immediately the taps showers ect are turned on good luck with it . Regards k

Last edited:
depends on kw needed but 40-50 sounds about right, but your heating engy should heat loss your property

depending on your mains flow and pressure you might not need an accumulator

op where are you based?

Also just going off experience boiler too small cylinder will want 15-25kw that leaves you about 12kw for heating

You might not need to heat the domestic hot water at the same time as the heating either.

There are so many variables and if buts & maybes that is not even worth trying to second guess the designs of a property of this sizes.

You might not need to heat the domestic hot water at the same time as the heating either.

There are so many variables and if buts & maybes that is not even worth trying to second guess the designs of a property of this sizes.

no but allways allow for it incase they do and call you up saying hot water wont heat up in 30 mins

I advise you to get a Heating Engineer round to look it over and price it.

You could even ask if they would spec it for you for your own plumber ( if you have someone in mind ), They will charge you for doing that though so ask how much first.

If you are going to have to use a light commercial boiler, I would recommend getting a commercial Engineer to fit it for you too.

This is all opinion of course.

Last edited:
Reading your first post you say you have allowed a cupboard for the boiler and ho****er install carefull consideration Will be needed as the plant will be quite large and 600 litres of water weighs alot , I would suggest a purpose built boiler house on the side of the property a better option WHY I hear you ask , 1 the plant will be to big for a cupboard , 2 if anything fails you flood your lovely new home , 2 ease of access for your engineer who will maintain your boiler ect ie he will not have to trapes through your lovely home with all his tools to service your boiler ect so you have your privacy and security , 3 noise transfer through the house you will hear pumps running boiler firing modulating ect all worth considering , if you live in a hard water area you will need a light commercial water softner to to keep bathrooms being damaged from scale all this is worth considering regards k

I know I have already said this once but You really need an experienced individual here.

600 litres is a lot to install in a domestic property ( even yours ), A lot of our commercial work e.g. hotels, Nursing homes etc, have less than that, relative to the number of outlets you'll be using.

With all due respect to them, some installers will 'guess' or way over estimate your requirements. You will end up with an over engineered inefficient Hot water system if you don't get it right !

Last edited:
Hi again you would not have 600 litres of hot waterr only 300 the other 300 would be in the accumulator and plumbed into the supply to the cylinder ect acting as a buffer to supply multiple outlets at the same time

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the responses, and apologies for the late reply, had a little domestic situation to resolve.
We will be getting a heating engineer out as suggested in some of the responses. I think it may be best all round to get someone to put their name and a spec to paper before we commit to buying or installing anything.

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the responses, and apologies for the late reply, had a little domestic situation to resolve.
We will be getting a heating engineer out as suggested in some of the responses. I think it may be best all round to get someone to put their name and a spec to paper before we commit to buying or installing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to System boiler/hot water cylinder spec for large property in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock