Search the forum,

Discuss System boiler & Air Source heat pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOSSEP

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi,

Has anyone got a simple schematic for a system that uses a system boiler & Air source heat pump? It early morning and I cant get my head around it at the moment. The client will want the system boiler to cut in if the air source pump cant meet the demand in winter months.

Cheers!

Martin

What sort of heating is in the property - ufh or panels, or a combination of both.?

You may need a buffer tank with an outdoor sensor connected.
When the ambient temp is high enough the ASHP may be able to cope with the heating, but getting the boiler to fire up when a greater heatload is required will probably require a tank stat set at say 50C.
When the boiler is required to heat the water, the ASHP become almost redundant.

They are having UFH & radiator panels.

I'm unsure what ASHP system he is getting, but the last one I did had a buffet tank. I can't remember though whether they have additional coils in them that the system boiler could heat it via, or of the system boiler will need adding to the system in another way?

Martin

Get the info and post it.

Depending on the system that is being sourced is dependent on the design of the boiler installation.

There are always options - but we need to design the system around what equipment is being supplied / recommended.

The tricky part will be hoe to control the boiler, so as not to override the ASHP and make it redundant or obsolete in the installation

Thats what I was scratching my head with. I think the client is under the impression that he will just have the boiler on when its needed, not quite a simple as that though.

If I were to spec the system I would go for a mitsubishi ecodan and control the whole lot from the ftc5 controller

Im not sure what ASHP he is getting yet, hopefully he has discussed operation of it with the companies he is getting prices from.

Would the FTC5 controller be able to bring in the system boiler automatically then if the ASHP fails to achieve the required temperature, or heat the house within a reasonable time?

I've only ever installed Mitsubishi units, have done a few with boiler back ups. When you say radiator panels, You need to take in to account that an ASHP runs only at 55 degrees or so, not normally the heat output you would expect from a traditional boiler running rads

The ASHP should be capable of running the heating, the FTC5 will also take care of the legionella cycle on the unvented cylinder as the water will be stored at a lower temp as well

Im not sure what ASHP he is getting yet, hopefully he has discussed operation of it with the companies he is getting prices from.

If I was you I would start getting involved asap.
Your neck will be on the chopping block if it goes downhill after the installation.

Set up a meeting with the ASHP company rep, the owners and you and make sure everyone is on the same level with how the system is to operate and perform.

Ask the ASHP company to provide you schematics and instructions how to install their system and ask them to provide a guarantee on the performance of the system that they have specified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to System boiler & Air Source heat pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock