Search the forum,

Discuss Syphoning ( I think ) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Quovadis

Hi have a toilet upstairs and a bath downstairs that shares tge same stack pipe ... Do bathroom down stairs always seems to smell a bit drainy , so I was thinking that as the toiet and bath is used upstairs as it passes the bath down stairs it acts as a symphon and take te water out of the lower bathrooms traps ... any suggestions to stop this .. was thinking of a one of those back pressure in line valves but dont think it will suit as it will allow water from the lower bath but still allow the symphon to act as the water passes ... any ideas ?

welcome to the forum.
it might be syphoning occurring???
this could be if the pipework had been fitted badly.
shallow bath trap?
fitted to low to the soil stack?

100% correct ..... what should have been during the build to stop this ( especially as the bath is so low downstairs) and any suggestions to resolve the issue ? The one idea was to attempt to put a shower trap or low level trap going to a tee with a non return valve on a small stack pipe before the main drain. the thnnking is that the bath can run as normal , but when the surge of water passes the bath pipe the symphon action would be overcome by the non return valve suckig in air and then closes after the air is equalised ? Any other suggestions welcome

kind regards

maybe some pictures, measurements so we see what you do.
possibly a waterless trap could help, hepvo

Hello, this is my first post but had a few instances with syphoning.

You could try HepVO [fanny trap valve] or McAlpine to a combined anti-syphon bath trap [code SM10EV].

I have fitted 1 1/2" air admittance valves where space is available.

Basin anti-vac traps are pretty cheap now. I often fit them anyway to avoid future issues if someone 'modifies' the pipework...

Good luck with getting id of the smells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Syphoning ( I think ) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Could I ask for some help with a water flow rate problem. I have good mains water pressure on the ground floor. There is no tank in the loft but an unvented cylinder in the upstairs airing cupboard. A gas heat only boiler. Upstairs I have two en suite rooms. One with a shower and one with...
Replies
Views
Hi I've recently had a new bathroom installed. I've noticed when I flush the downstairs loo there was a hammer type noise under the bathroom floor when the cold feed for the loo turned off/ same with the washing machine. So I turned off the mains water supply. Opened the highest tap first...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Is this set up correct: Attic stop valve turns off the cold water to my bathroom (I think it is the rising main in the attic which I and other residents in the building share as we have shared supply to bathrooms and kitchens) Under kitchen sink stop valve turns off cold water in...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
T
Hi all, seeking advice on my toilet. (Layman here, please be gentle with me.) When we flush the loo upstairs, it flushes fine (therefore assuming no suggestion of any actual blockage) but after the flush we get a rumbly gurgling from deep within the pipework somewhere and the water level in the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock