Search the forum,

Discuss Surrey or Essex, What's your choice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Plumber

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Which would you use with a shower pump mounted on the floor next to a 36x18 cylinder.

Not big on shower pumps but I am replacing a cylinder soon which has a shower pump installed off an Essex.

Reason for asking is, I have had a Surrey in the van for many moons. This could be a chance to get rid but in my nagging self criticising mind I think Essex is a better job.

Your thoughts please?

Surrey all day long seen too many essexs leaking

Are they okay?
Not more likely to pull air in?

There fine and no as they have a dip tube that go down roughly to the same height as an Essex anyway I've never had any problems with them

If there is a side entry points in the cylinder to tap into surely it makes sense to use an Essex, but if it is top entry I would use a Surrey.

If there is a side entry points in the cylinder to tap into surely it makes sense to use an Essex, but if it is top entry I would use a Surrey.

You mean if there's already a tapping in the side eg 22mm compression ??

Yeah. I know I can put a tapping into the side myself but I've always been to scared to do it incase I knacker the cylinder. Have seen other people do it though.

Ignore part of my last. Got confused with a Essex. Just looked at one I have never used on the van and it comes with the connector to put the hole in the tank. My mistake. Sorry.

Going to throw a cat amongst the pigeons. Fitted a new shower pump onto a Surrey flange. Only time I've ever had a problem with a new pump install, and only time I've ever used a Surrey flange. Had to go back and fit an Essex flange as pump was pulling through air still. worked a treat then.

I just assemble the Essex flange with a wee bit of LSX on both seals. Never had a problem with one like that.

Going to throw a cat amongst the pigeons. Fitted a new shower pump onto a Surrey flange. Only time I've ever had a problem with a new pump install, and only time I've ever used a Surrey flange. Had to go back and fit an Essex flange as pump was pulling through air still. worked a treat then.

I just assemble the Essex flange with a wee bit of LSX on both seals. Never had a problem with one like that.

Did you replace the s flange / did it have a dip tube ?

LSX is quite amazing really but a nightmare when trying to undo it once it has set.

Did you replace the s flange / did it have a dip tube ?

Not sure to be honest. In the end I just got rid of it and fitted an Essex flange!

Not sure to be honest. In the end I just got rid of it and fitted an Essex flange!

Can't see how it could pull in air if it has a dip tube (normally about 6" long) so the cylinder would have to be drained abit before it would suck in air

Sorry, meant to say it didn't have a dip tube so was basically just a tee on top. Probably explains why it drew air then tbh :/

I like Essex flanges, they're not too bad to fit and you can charge good cash for fitting them too.

Sorry, meant to say it didn't have a dip tube so was basically just a tee on top. Probably explains why it drew air then tbh :/

I like Essex flanges, they're not too bad to fit and you can charge good cash for fitting them too.

There's your problem not an s flange prob just a brass t

Essex flanges are a disgrace IMO. Drilling an oversized hole in the cylinder and using an Essex rubber jointed flange centred on the hole, - no thanks! Heat damages the rubber seals and Essexs aren't cheap!
If you are installing a new cylinder and really want a direct tapping on side of cylinder, - get a new cylinder with the extra tapping. Or it is extremely easy to use a brass tank fitting, having drilled a tight fit hole and use a piece of stiff wire (earth wire) to thread the tank fitting through the hole. Or install a Warix or Surrey flange.

Thanks for all your input

Warrick/surrey it is.

Anyone know why they're named after places?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Surrey or Essex, What's your choice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock