Search the forum,

Discuss Suggestions for heat guards please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
My local church need to replace the wooden heat guards around the radiators as the ones they currently have are being burnt, see pictures. They cannot get a gas safe certificate without removing the current wooden guards but they need something there to protect small children and the elderly. Any suggestions most appreciated

Thanks

Paul

Attachments

• 2016-02-29 11.40.07.jpg
    2016-02-29 11.40.07.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 2016-02-29 11.40.16.jpg
    2016-02-29 11.40.16.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 2016-02-29 11.40.33.jpg
    2016-02-29 11.40.33.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 46
Hi Paul
What type of heaters (radiators) are they ? I can just make out some thing that looks like controls on the right front suggesting it is a fan convector heater which would fit with it being a church.

The wood just looks like it is too close to the heater can it be brought forwards by 50 - 75mm ?
&/or cut out metal strips & apply to the back of the wood.

Hi Paul
What type of heaters (radiators) are they ? I can just make out some thing that looks like controls on the right front suggesting it is a fan convector heater which would fit with it being a church.

The wood just looks like it is too close to the heater can it be brought forwards by 50 - 75mm ?
&/or cut out metal strips & apply to the back of the wood.

Looks like a drugasar

and op hope its removable as they require servicing

Last edited:
not radiators they are Gas heaters Maybe Baxi or Drugasar units you need to contact manufacture as to what you can put around them if anything

A new make on me Shaun, flue straight out the back I take it.

It would make sense with the no gas cert, how far should the wood be away from the front?

Yes bigger version of a baxi Brazilia, and at least 50mm but tbh more always better and removable as the cover needs to come off (hinges from top then lift off)

We always put the wire mesh type guards in schools when we fitted Drus or any hot case heater. Didn't bother with Vulcana fan jobs as they were cooler. Pity, looks a nice bit of wood and matched to seating either side. reckon you'll have to move further out or cover the inner surface with Supalux or similar boarding if you don't want mesh.

Why not just buy an extra large metal fire guard, that's what the church I look after did ( they have a Dru art 10 )

Shame to mess with those guards as they've been very well made and thoughtfully designed.

Get the chippy in to move the guards further out to required distance and placed between runners so they can be lifted out for access.

Would fire resistant Aluminium tape to prevent scorching do the job?

wood and heat dont mix, it is scorch so isnt safe, you need the guards further away end of. tape etc isnt the answer. A metal guard probably wont do as it will get to hot which is what they are trying to avoid in the first place

wont get that hot mate as theres an air gap, and will be cool with the more airflow going around

and something like what we make would do, could be made as intricate or simple as anyone likes

2012-04-25 15.49.14.jpg

The last drugasar heaters I saw had really good metal mesh guards, like Shaun's pic, I assumed they came from drugasar themselves.

if the wood has burnt its got to quite a decent temp mate, so metal in a similar position will become too hot air gap or not

if the wood has burnt its got to quite a decent temp mate, so metal in a similar position will become too hot air gap or not

as long as theres 50mm gap you can have curtains within 50mm of heater as theres a lump of cast iron that displacing the heat, if they are getting that hot to burn wood then they need looking at/ filter change/clean

as long as theres 50mm gap you can have curtains within 50mm of heater as theres a lump of cast iron that displacing the heat, if they are getting that hot to burn wood then they need looking at/ filter change/clean

wouldnt want curtains that near then :)

right to put your mind at rest and confirm sizes just run the rep/tech manager

for the big ones all wood other flammable materials need to be atleast 50cm away from the front of the appliance and 50mm either side its been updated about 2-3 years ago from the old spec to the new 50cm

so your wooden guard must be 50cm clear on the front

Last edited:
Wire guard available for drugasars (or at least there used to be). Get a smoke pellet in the heat ex and get your ID stickers ready! I've serviced hundreds in schools. Sticky gas valve was my favorite breakdown, walk in classroom smack valve with hammer and walk out. Kids faces!!lol

Wire guard available for drugasars (or at least there used to be). Get a smoke pellet in the heat ex and get your ID stickers ready! I've serviced hundreds in schools. Sticky gas valve was my favorite breakdown, walk in classroom smack valve with hammer and walk out. Kids faces!!lol

or pilot light out

They have a tendency to crack mainly in the middle bit if you look down you will see them also corrode from the inside out. Easy to change heaters more or less like for like. I would go with the metal guards as someone said think drug user do their own

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Suggestions for heat guards please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

E
I reckon if I did a survey of 100 heating engineers, asking what would they recommend for heating a granny annexe being built onto the side of my house, in place of the garage, most would give me a suggestion to put in a) an extension to the existing boiler rad circuit & electric water heaters...
Replies
Views
eco-heating options
E
I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the normal radiators get hot but two of the three towel heater/radiators don't get hot and the pipes feeding them are cool to the touch even after the boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking to see if anyone can give some advice please. My Baxi boiler has been losing pressure and I am having to top it up approx. every 4 hours from 0-1.5 bar each time. This has been going on a week now. I have also started to notice small drips running down my condensate pipe...
Replies
Views
B
Hi everyone, I have a Santon Premier Plus PP120E (unvented direct immersion heater) fitted with two thermostats, which provides hot water to taps and shower. The central heating runs from a separate system. On the PP120E: Bottom thermostat is set it to 4 out of 5 (approx. 60C), and connected...
Replies
Views
Bridog
B
I will start by saying I am not a plumber but I have learnt loads thanks to people on here. I am currently having an issue with heating & Hot Water. It is working but I have to do certain things to make it work each day. The question is about the 2 gate valves in the picture. Valve number 1 and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock