Search the forum,

Discuss Suggest gas combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
That white paper doesnt say "dont buy aluminum". It provides quite in depth view on each metal and how it will affect boilers life.

Plenty of people are saying corrosion, grey goo, blocked lines.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=stainless+steel+aluminum+heat+exchanger

Yes, aluminum does have 4.5x better thermal conductivity, but tube walls are much thicker due to fact that is not as strong as stainless steel - will crack and leak over time. On that fact, thermal cond. is equal.

As for the dB levels - you are seriously wasting your time even giving this any thought. As already stated, a washing machine or kettle will be much noisier.

House currently live in has Ideal combi. When I`m in bed upstairs I can hear it running and it drives me nuts. Noise seems to come up through pipes.

How much time do you actually spend in your kitchen with no other appliances running?

Its not about noise in kitchen, but living room & bedroom.

House currently live in has Ideal combi. When I`m in bed upstairs I can hear it running and it drives me nuts. Noise seems to come up through pipes.

Its not about noise in kitchen, but living room & bedroom.

That's not the boiler, it's badly installed and possibly badly designed pipework.

That white paper doesnt say "dont buy aluminum". It provides quite in depth view on each metal and how it will affect boilers life.

Plenty of people are saying corrosion, grey goo, blocked lines.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=stainless+steel+aluminum+heat+exchanger

Yes, aluminum does have 4.5x better thermal conductivity, but tube walls are much thicker due to fact that is not as strong as stainless steel - will crack and leak over time. On that fact, thermal cond. is equal.

Corrosion - can be mitigated by a through powerflush on installation and proper dosing with inhibitor chemicals.
Grey goo - dealt with during thorough servicing
Will crack and leak over time - the rest of the boiler will have shuffled off its mortal coil long before this will happen (in normal circumstances). You may be unlucky and have a heat exchanger crack due to manufacturing defect, but I have replaced more SS heat exchangers than ally ones. The thinner walls make any weakness or manufacturing stress in the metal far more critical.

Seriously, you are worrying about things that are so unlikely to happen that you're not seeing the wood for the trees. Stop sweating the petty stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
When condensing boilers became the norm after 2005 Part L building regs. came into being, all the talk was of how aluminium heat exchangers wouldn't last the course & how stainless would be so much better.
In fairness I have not heard of any prematurely failed heat exchangers, ally or S/S so probably all just mythical nonsense, just like the year 2K bug !

Very interesting publication on aluminum vs stainless steel in boilers:
[DLMURL]http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/assets/pdf/WhitePaper_CompALSS_Final.pdf[/DLMURL]

But plumbers on forums are saying to steer clear from aluminum.

Obviously You have got some knowledge or information from somewhere. What your desire and opinion suggest is that its not the norm. You can have exactly what you want flow, temp rise, duty etc. The only factor which limits this is how much you are prepared to spend

Ring Biasi, Ferroli or any other quality manufacturers and ask for their sales dept
They will be happy to answer any query you may have, in fact I'd go as far as to say they will be delighted to actually speak to a real person who wants to know more about their products
You may be even more luckier and get a good discount over the phone from them

When condensing boilers became the norm after 2005 Part L building regs. came into being, all the talk was of how aluminium heat exchangers wouldn't last the course & how stainless would be so much better.
In fairness I have not heard of any prematurely failed heat exchangers, ally or S/S so probably all just mythical nonsense, just like the year 2K bug !

ooo missed a few posts, surves me right for sleep in :D and worcester/ others have a 10 year warranty on heat exchangers :D

Hold your breath just had an email that Vaillant are bringing out a new boiler expected to be called underfloor tec and the energy consumption Is unreal they've also developed a new way of fans operating and are almost silent watch this space.

Hold your breath just had an email that Vaillant are bringing out a new boiler expected to be called underfloor tec and the energy consumption Is unreal they've also developed a new way of fans operating and are almost silent watch this space.

Is that the one where they insist on you using Dihydrogen Monoxide as the heating medium?

Is that the one where they insist on you using Dihydrogen Monoxide as the heating medium?

Yep it is I wasn't going to say but you've let the cat out the bag now! The way it fractionally distalisees dihydrogen monoxide and sells the unused products back to the energy supplier turning a profit for the user is unreal! Heating and ho****er and they pay you an average of £648 a year is mind boggling. I just can't believe it will only produce a max of 23db doing all of that I have one pre order.

I am waiting for Williams to launch the Intergas rapide, that he mentioned in his thread a minute back, I'll be popping one in for an old customer as soon as they appear, think they use the stuff croppie mentioned.

Yep it is I wasn't going to say but you've let the cat out the bag now! The way it fractionally distalisees dihydrogen monoxide and sells the unused products back to the energy supplier turning a profit for the user is unreal! Heating and ho****er and they pay you an average of £648 a year is mind boggling. I just can't believe it will only produce a max of 23db doing all of that I have one pre order.

Lucky sod! I hassled my rep to get me on the pre-order list but he said they had none left. :(

Dihydrogen monoxide. Its the future!

Dihydrogen monoxide defiantly is the way forward, incorporate the new ceramic heat exchanger being developed and i reckon boilers will easily push the A+++ on that new ERP thing in September.

Dihydrogen monoxide defiantly is the way forward, incorporate the new ceramic heat exchanger being developed and i reckon boilers will easily push the A+++ on that new ERP thing in September.

We have to do the 7 day CPD course to work on theses though, and Yeh they are all ERP pumps ,,,, also worth mentioning you can use WIFI to adjust the Dihydrogen output, just means we need the new combustion analysers that incorporate the Dihydrogen sensor, I do hope they have a 5 year life span,

We have to do the 7 day CPD course to work on theses though, and Yeh they are all ERP pumps ,,,, also worth mentioning you can use WIFI to adjust the Dihydrogen output, just means we need the new combustion analysers that incorporate the Dihydrogen sensor, I do hope they have a 5 year life span,

does that mean if you have an i phone no more stupid little button clocks/timers to set ? you can just dl the app and set your times like a nest or wave

does that mean if you have an i phone no more stupid little button clocks/timers to set ? you can just dl the app and set your times like a nest or wave

Yeh that's right,

This is really informative. Glad we can talk about these new concepts. Hopefully it helps the OP

Call me grumpy and old fashioned, but I think everyone is jumping on this band-wagon without thought for the consequences.

Its not a new technology, and the potential dangers of Di-Hi have been documented for years, even outside of the trade. W C Fields wrote a particularly pithy piece on the subject.

Morning grumpy, I still prefer calling you the evil shopkeeper cos your a tease with your freebies lol.

does anyone else feel were getting to complicated in the methods we use to heat our homes you will need a degree to be a plumber within 5 years

My nephew has a degree but I had to show him how rawl plugs & screws work to fit a smoke alarm to the ceiling. Think it`s been said before that there is a generation that just don`t understand hand tools and fixings.

Call me grumpy and old fashioned, but I think everyone is jumping on this band-wagon without thought for the consequences.

Its not a new technology, and the potential dangers of Di-Hi have been documented for years, even outside of the trade. W C Fields wrote a particularly pithy piece on the subject.

The next time I'm over I'll take you to the pub so you can buy us a few single malts each.

I'll explain how DiHi can be utilised without worry or harm to the environment or bricks and mortar.

There is a bit of a fine balance in getting the volume correct but you'll thank me for the knowledge afterwards.

The next time I'm over I'll take you to the pub so you can buy us a few single malts each.

I'll explain how DiHi can be utilised without worry or harm to the environment or bricks and mortar.

There is a bit of a fine balance in getting the volume correct but you'll thank me for the knowledge afterwards.

If you post it in The Plumbers Arms I`ll buy you a virtual single malt mate, this is all new tech to me and I wanna know more about it.

Morning grumpy, I still prefer calling you the evil shopkeeper cos your a tease with your freebies lol.

He probably grew up watching ' Open all Hours ' ( is that the show with the shop keeper)
From memory - the shopkeeper didn't give anything away unless there was a profit in it for him.

What was the shopkeepers name?

Awkright, the late great Ronnie Barker. Little known fact is that he used to send in script ideas under a false name to be sure that they were used under merit alone and not just because he wrote them.

I bet you he's making a fortune out of supplying boiler manufacturers with up to date, minute by minute 'live' reviews of what plumbers think of their combi boilers.

does anyone else feel were getting to complicated in the methods we use to heat our homes you will need a degree to be a plumber within 5 years

You mean there's plumbers on here without a degree :0 I'm shocked... They should be removed from the site or something ;)

He probably grew up watching ' Open all Hours ' ( is that the show with the shop keeper)
From memory - the shopkeeper didn't give anything away unless there was a profit in it for him.

I'm afraid I was already grown up by then. When I was growing up, Ronnie Barker was in prison, doing Porridge.

Reminds me more of Aunty Wainwright from Last of the Summer Wine. Nobody escapes without buying something they never knew they needed! :D

This is my comparison:
http://i.*********/yYyEw1f.jpg

No solid winner here :(

Last edited:
This is insane, you are asking for the boiler that not only ticks all the boxes, but gets an a* in every box. This just doesn't exist. Same with cars, you can't have performance and efficiency. Yes there is a Tesla but you suffer from low range and lack of dealers for repairs.

Your spreadsheet lays out just a few of the features, what about warranty?, what about spare part costs? What if it doesn't fit a standard cupboard and you need to pay more for a bespoke cupboard.

Also your installer will know his preferred boilers and be comfortable with them, anything else will naturally take a bit longer

You could spend a year on this project and finally save £6.50 per annum only to realise that the money you have spent on powering up your laptop screen probably outweighs it.

Go with what your installer recommends, start shopping and Aldi and feel the savings. Everyone one is a winner then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Suggest gas combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock