Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Stupid questions from a novice in the Fittings & Pipes area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. David Mitchell

David Mitchell New Member

I am, yes. That's why I wanted the advice. I don't see why it makes a difference, but I'm going to re-design what I had planned to conform with their design.

2. Vee

Vee Plumber GSR

What get’s forgotten is that stoves are notifiable like any other heating appliance and that the work should be carried out by a competent person. This is for obvious reasons espially since it’s uncontrolled nature. The fashionable trend of having solid fuel appliances I am sure will contribute to an upward trend of self inflicted accidents which will cause eventually for the enforcement side to catch up. Good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

i have had a couple of jobs over the years where they were so tight (brass olives) that they cut into the pipe, causing leaks

4. David Mitchell

David Mitchell New Member

"stoves are notifiable like any other heating appliance".
    Can you explain this?

5. Vee

Vee Plumber GSR

Stove installations are classed as a “controlled service” and therefore installation of a solid fuel burning appliance such as what you proposed is included. Compliance is required which includes notification to building control either by the building owner if carrying out the work themselves or on behalf of the owner by a competent person on a register. I would urge you to read Document J of the Regs. Link included.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/468872/ADJ_LOCKED.pdf

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Yes I thought by your posts that you were going to do the work.
    Probably unwise.

7. oz-plumber

oz-plumber Plumber

What's that saying?
    'There's no such thing as a stupid question'

There are exceptions to every rule - and this thread is an exception to that rule.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber

Yes, basically a stove should be installed either by a registered competent person or notified to building control if installed by anyone else.
    My neighbour has a wood burning stove installed by her father'. How he carried out a leakage test on the 150-year-old chimney when adapting it from open fire to closed appliance without asking to come into my house to check the other side of the chimney is anyone's guess (I'm guessing he didn't), and, of course, it could result in the death of his daughter, or of myself. To be honest, I couldn't care less if he notified the work or not, but I do wish he'd stop bodging things.
    The one saving grace with stoves is that a leaking flue mostly makes the room smell of smoke, so although you may not be able to smell carbon dioxide, you can at least usually smell the smoke itself. That said, much better to do the job properly (and legally) than run risks.
    For what it's worth, I see differences between what the plumber is suggesting and what the manufacturers state. If your plumber thinks his solution will be satisfactory in the long run (or at all), I still think you need to find another plumber.
    Do you even have a plumber, or by your plumber, do you mean yourself?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. fixitflav

fixitflav Member

I understood hemp and paste is not suitable for gas, as it's slightly permeable, not enough for a explosion risk, but to smell nasty. (I know this thread is not about gas)

10. Jim Goodenough

Jim Goodenough Member

Aye non setting Fernox potable paste for me as well on water compression joints, can save you thinking "is that condensation or a weep" on a cold water connection...