Search the forum,

Discuss Struggling with my mynute 14se in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cheggers33

Has been dripping from the relief valve onto the wall outside and becoming a problem (damp, dripping on wooden window sill etc)

I have pressurised to roughly 2bar but it continues to stay above 2bar and at times, nearly 3! Am assuming I'm being an idiot and have the refill tap on constantly rather than off but can't seem to make a difference in the pressure either way..... and am a little apprehensive given I'm no boiler expert.

Tap is currently all the way to the left in the pic attached. Any advice?

IMG_20170516_121232.jpg

Best bet is to call a gas safe engy out as the relief valve and another part checked

Most systems should be pressurised to between 1 and 1.5 when cold and will rise to 2 bar when hot. Have you checked the user instructions for your boiler to make sure you are setting the right pressure?

If this is your boiler:

http://cdn0.vokera.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/mynute_10se_14se_20se_users_instructions.pdf

Then refer to §3.1, and set the system pressure to between 1 and 1.5bar when cold.

Once pressurised, the taps at the ends of the filling loop should both be off and the flexible hose disconnected.

Last edited:
The horizontal position of the black turn handle in your pic shows that the filler valve is in the open position, It needs to be vertical to turn it off. And the silver braided hose attached to it should be disconected once you have topped up the pressur to 1bar. If you still have a problem after the pressure is reduced to 1bar and the hose is disconected then it is time to call in an GSR engineer.

Removing the hose, as above will be the final test of whether the fill valve is closed..

Thanks all for the responses. So there are now 2 questions here (as I'm a total novice and do not want to be disconnecting anything wherever possible):
  1. The valve is horizontal and fully turned all the way anti-clockwise; should this be in the '12 o'clock' position? It will turn maximum 180 degrees clockwise to the '3 o'clock' position.
  2. If I do manage to get the above simple piece right, how do I then de-pressurise the boiler to a more reasonable bar reading?
Again, appreciate all replies to this as it's doing my head in!

Even if you do all the things in the post above. The pipe outside will still probably drip. Which you cannot fix. I would recommend getting a GSR in to check it all over and once there ask him/her to lower the pressure for you.

The black handle should be positioned at 12 o'clock - 6 o'clock position. It is a quarter turn valve so only needs to be turned through 90 degrees. So straight up and down is closed & a 90 degree turn left to right position is open. Unfortunately once the relief valve has been open they very rarely seal back off properly and have a tendency to drip after that and so often need replacing once operated. To reduce the pressure the only way I would recommend a Non GSR engineer to do is to get a suitable bowl or bucket and simply open a bleed valve on a easy to get at radiator and let the water squirt out in to the bucket until the pressure has reduced down to 1 bar, Do this when the heating is off and the radiators are cold. Hopefully the PRV will hold and all should be well. If not then call a GSR engineer to replace PRV and check expansion vessel.

Again, thanks for the replies. Have adjusted to 12-6 o'clock and will bleed a radiator tonight to reduce the pressure. Else an engineer will be earning his wage!

Thanks again all.

You may have damaged the Expansion Vessel by leaving the filling loop open - hence why the system pressure goes up to 3 bar, and the PRV activates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Struggling with my mynute 14se in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
Hello All- (Usual caveats apply: I am the rather unusual part-time variety of a GSRE, training self-funded and slowly trying to make my way and gain experience- mainly do inspections and safety checks etc, have been on the Baxi fault-finding course relatively recently, don't profess to know it...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I hope you can help..I'm a total dunce when it comes to all things plumbing, apologies if posted in the incorrect forum too! Sorry this post is going to be quite long/descriptive but I was just hoping to get a second opinion on the methodology the plumber used to fix our boiler...
Replies
Views
We purchased an incomplete house 2 years ago. It was a bargain so we were prepared for possible unpleasant surprises. So far the only major problem we are having is the heating system. In Ireland during the big freeze there was issues with central heating pipes bursting. Our house was a vacant...
Replies
Views
K
Hi, I am looking for advice from the skilled and knowledgeable as it seems very hard to pin down a plumber to look at all the issues I have without several call outs and costs. I bought a house about 6 months ago (30year old) and got straight on with some renovations. As part of this process...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock