Search the forum,

Discuss struggling for work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mak

Anyone struggling at the mo like me .Posted flyers (1500) advertised in local rag .Phoned to see if any sub work going but none available.Thinking of trying agencies next.
Tbh its really getting me down,may aswell jack it all in if theres no work :(

If it helps I got nothing all week
I just can't beat some of the prices.
I walked into he letting agents the other day and see some guy picking up ÂŁ15 for unblocking a toilet

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a very quiet april , has picked up for me but still not busy enough . Your problem being as stated plumbers now working for not alot and i dont think its by choice more a case of needing to to keep the bills at bay

pff that really takes the micky
Had to change some taps the other day but other than that Ive got nothing in,its going on for 2 weeks now .Priced a job up last week for a full hit ,customer said she hasn't got much to spend and could i do it on the cheap ,so i thought ok ill price it up and charge her ÂŁ200 for labour .Cheeky cust phoned me up saying i was too expensive and that shes got someone else to do it.Hope shes right fed up when something goes wrong or theres "extra costs" put on

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone struggling at the mo like me .Posted flyers (1500) advertised in local rag .Phoned to see if any sub work going but none available.Thinking of trying agencies next.
Tbh its really getting me down,may aswell jack it all in if theres no work :(

Does your local paper having a "Planning Permissions" section, always good for blasting off a letter for extensions and new builds etc, I also stop off when I see buildings going up and drop off a business card or ask for customers details. Doesn't always work but might be worth a go. Hope it turns around for you.

I keep hearing of joiners and other trades nipping in and undercutting plumbers, especially if they're already there doing another job. Problem is, if they swap a pair of taps for ÂŁ15 (bit of beer money) before they pack up for the day, everyone expects the job doing for that price

have been busy,but pricing for combi conversions recently,prices are tight,heard of one outfit doing combi conversion,with worcester 28i
ÂŁ1250,dont know how there doing it at that price,also BG have droppped there prices big time

My work has been so slow I don't even feel like a plumber anymore :) I'm hoping to go down the house husband road :)

Hi, just curious really as I work in London although it's tough and competitive here I still do a reasonable turnover. But you guys that live out of London like Nottingham or Sheffield how far out of those areas do you travel for work. How far would you travel to do a free quote? And more to the point how long could you carry on without regular work coming in? finally what will you do if work does not pick up?

I'm London based and am slack on work at the moment, although I was off the circuit for a while, so my customer base is small.

I know others that are down to 2-3 days a week and not just plumbers.

I don't know how guys just starting out are managing

tell me about it, im in richmond in surrey and cant get anything going. i was up and down, then further down, its painful at this stage. i wish there was something that could just take the pressure off. id love a career change but with it being so quite i couldnt possibly afford it.vicious circle and so fort.i could seriously do with a couple of jobs.....

Luckily I have other interests that provide me with a small income to get by, plus the wife works which helps. I would leave the job in the bat of an eye if I could find something else to do. The main problem is that once you have worked for yourself it's very hard to get back into being an employee again.

I have a degree and a diploma in engineering, along with a background in finance which I guess I could try and use to find something else.

The thing is, it cost me a small fortune to set up, so I refuse to work for nowt as prices have been driven down by the lack of demand and high supply of plumbers. I'd rather shut up shop then work for peanuts.

Do I wanna travel 2 hours each day to earn ÂŁ120 a day just cos there is work there? Nope, I'd rather watch homes under the hammer and don't get done, get Dom. :)

Do I wanna travel 2 hours each day to earn ÂŁ120 a day just cos there is work there? Nope, I'd rather watch homes under the hammer and don't get done, get Dom. :)

Living the dream mate, living the dream!!

Glad its not just me who is quiet, Ive been doing 3 day weeks for about 6 weeks now, I cover Kent and East Sussex,

This week is busy, but not a lot booked in for the rest of the year!!

At least Ive nearly finished all the decorating in doors!!

Isn't ÂŁ120 a day 5 days a week ÂŁ2400 a month and ÂŁ29k per year? I know you'll spend a lot of time driving, but if the bills need paying??? You're one of those ÂŁ80k per year plumbers aren't you? ;):D

I don't know how guys just starting out are managing

I started out couple of months back and I had some jobs but now completely dried up, I got some money through a compensation claim so going to spend some on advertising and I'm waiting on Contract work starting(BG and Insurance Emergency call out work)

Waiting on a start date for the BG work, and just recently sent over my details to the insurance company who are offering ÂŁ65 a call out for a maximum of 90 minutes and ÂŁ10 materials, any higher would need to be verified by company. I've opted for 8am-6pm only monday to friday, so not as if its 24/7.

Apart from that not had much of my own work, got a Networking event on the 8th of June so will be meeting with other business people and hopefully get some work there

what are the best places to advertise ? dont want to be throwing away money for little return

Well im hunting to go back on the books , self employed plumber sucks these days .
Cash in the bank everyday perlease and snoozing in the van dinner time !!!

Isn't ÂŁ120 a day 5 days a week ÂŁ2400 a month and ÂŁ29k per year? I know you'll spend a lot of time driving, but if the bills need paying??? You're one of those ÂŁ80k per year plumbers aren't you? ;):D

I can see what you are saying mate, but take off all the running costs of van, fuel etc, it would be more like ÂŁ80 a day. So a 10 hour day in total for ÂŁ80, nah, I'd rather go fishing and let the madness carry on. :)

Keep your heads up.

I was dry on work about a month ago but now I am booked up til July.

Currently working daytim doing a bathroom and evenings doing a heating install.

Have you thought about joining Checkatrade? I get 3/4 calls a week through it an even if they are small jobs they will alwaysead to bigger things.

had a look at the check a trade website, seems like a bit of an effort to join, is it worth it ? are you quoting for a job along with 4 other businesses ? are there "budgets" like ratedpeople ??

no one from local customer ,2 from boiler brake dawn ,3 from customer from here ! BNI had small jobs with turn over 1k last 2 weeks !

just from one thread here ! dont know if customer will accept as he thought i think that as I am from here will be cheap ! any way they want good job they have to pay this is my point !

I'm going to a network meeting on the 8th of june which is a free event organised by the people who funded mine and others, wonder if it will generate any business its all young businesses also so hopefully they have some new properties that need some work done lol

no need to network with new businesses focus on mid age people who has there own homes and can afford work to be done !

Just wondering if any of you guys on here do any sub-contract work. I work for a largish building company that do these council/decent homes contracts. Fitting 5 full systems a week, hard graft but good money! Sometimes slack this time of year, but id definately recommend trying to find out who the main contractors are for your local authorities because if you are willing to put the effort it, its nearly as good as being on someones books!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to struggling for work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock