Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Strange water flow in taps in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Yes mate. I do explain to the custard that it is only short term. But normally gives me enough space to quote and fit them into the diary. (Also not everyone can afford new taps straight away). They then have a working tap and don’t moan at me when my next slot is over a month away.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

I still grease them and hope that they last a reasonable while.
    But if I have a matching works and the old works has a worn O ring, or other bad wear, then I always replace the works.
    I find I can replace most standard taps works with the off the shelf works.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber

Best - I once removed the top O ring as a temporary measure in a non-rising mechanism to allow the tap to be turned on. Customer still happy two years later.
    Harvest/Best - is that a ceramic disc tap in the OP's video? If so, what have O rings got to do with the problem? Is Best writing at cross purposes?

4. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Doesn’t look like a quarter turn tap. (To me) Looks like the two parts of the cartridge have separated and will not wind back together.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

Center tap restorer with cross head 1/2 Chrome Plated | Plumb Center

These kits come in different head styles to suit your preference. They contain a new cartridge and bushes to allow it to adapt to the majority of tap bodies. I've used a fair few of them over the years to replace the headworks on taps without messing with the tap body and connections.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber

Not that I know anything, but Ric & Harvest are spot on.

What's happened here is that the washer has worn (been compressed). This allows the large o-ring to slip past the end and so stops the jumper being taken back up.

When this happens water often gets past and into the space where the main screw works. This then becomes hydraulically locked as water isn't easily compressed.

This valve does NOT need replacing. It needs a new washer, the large o-ring checking (if its D shaped its buggered and needs replacing) cleaning, lubricating (always silicone grease) and putting back together. If you fit a slightly thicker washer it's far less likely to happen again. When done correctly they will go on for another 10 years.

Fact is, this only happens because everything is made with a minimum of tolerance. If designed correctly, the washer would not leave the sleeve even when it's worn. Unfortunately saving 0.000001p per cartridge when you make billions keeps accountants in jobs so we and our customers end up suffering.

Bottom line. It does NOT need replacing. Anyone who thinks it does, simply does not understand how these things work and why what happens happens.

With some respect Peter you have part of the story. Your refer to 20 spline but many many other aspects change too to deliver a proper fit. I can tell you there are over 2000 variations in use in 1/2" taps alone. Then we have 3/4" variations. I will not go on . ;) as you lot know how I can :eek:

7. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

We all don't have a special kit that does all taps so instead of chasing round trying to find one it's easier for me to change the taps

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Obtaining an O ring for the lower works of an exact size is near impossible I find.
    The theory of the tap washer becoming worn and allowing the works to tighten down and come apart, is I am sure possible.
    But actually what happens in the majority of tap failures is the bottom O ring once worn, allows water past it and when the tap is turned on, the internal socket thread fills with water and when the tap is turned off, the hydraulic action of the water acts like a spacer and the washer part gets pushed lower, therefore closing the tap off partially or fully off permanently.
    I have fixed so many of these stupid designed taps that I eventually decided to figure it out what exactly caused the works to separate.
    To prove this, just open any failed works and you will discover water inside the lower part

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber

Coming back to this, I'm still trying to get my head around the part, forty seconds in, where turning the taphead anticlockwise seems to stop the water from flowing and clockwise allows water to flow, assuming we have a non-rising spindle mechanism as suggested above.

I can see how turning clockwise and coming off the end of the thread could cause the flow to restart, but I cannot understand how then turning anticlockwise could then push the jumper down to stop the flow (as in the video). I'd have thought, even with the jumper having come off the end of the thread, that an anticlockwise turn would still pull the jumper up and open the tap further (unless the threads or the hexagon jams).