Discuss Strange smell from boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

teaselweasel

Hi,

I am new to this forum and was looking for a little bit of advice. I have a Worcester Bosch Danesmoor oil boiler that is regularly serviced and maintained but has started emitting a strange smell. It's not an oil smell neither is it overly unpleasant just weird. It is quite strong when it first comes on then disappears after an hour or so, like it has burned off?? It smells a bit like a sweet rubber smell or slightly warm plastic, if that makes sense.

We are due to have it serviced in a couple of weeks, just wondered what it could be, should I be worried.

Thanks ever so much.

I'd recommend that you bring the service date forward, unusual smells from appliances usually signals trouble.

Don't leave it or it may be expensive to put right. If it is a burning plastic or rubber smell it may be from worn out bearings on the motor in which case the bearings would need replacing. Does the motor make a whining or squealing sound when the burner is running? Alternatively it could be something else. Get it serviced sooner rather than later.

I agree, there be any number of things that could cause a strange smell from a boiler. Bring your service forward if you can.

Could well be the coil burning out. Get it serviced before it blows up the control box too!

Better still tell your service man / woman before they set out to service a boiler that obviously needs a repair not a service, that way they can make their own diagnosis of the possible fault and arrive with the part.

I always charge more for a repair when a customer books a service instead of stating clearly that they have a problem with the boiler, and Yes they are always asked when booking if they need a repair or service.

Others may not admit to having the same policy as I have but most in the service business I know work the same way.

Better still tell your service man / woman before they set out to service a boiler that obviously needs a repair not a service, that way they can make their own diagnosis of the possible fault and arrive with the part.

I always charge more for a repair when a customer books a service instead of stating clearly that they have a problem with the boiler, and Yes they are always asked when booking if they need a repair or service.

Others may not admit to having the same policy as I have but most in the service business I know work the same way.

It is annoying when you hear 'it stopped working this morning' if I know before I can allow for any additional time in my day.

The general giveaway is the 'I need it servicing today' :)

It is annoying when you hear 'it stopped working this morning' if I know before I can allow for any additional time in my day.

Which means you are spending time apologising to other customers maybe even leaving someone without service for that day, trying to re-schedule etc

All nightmare scenarios that we must deal with so of course we must charge more when given the wrong information.

Had one a couple of months ago. Customer said it needed servicing as it sounded like a motorbike at speed. I asked how long and they said a couple of years and that the supposed service engineer said it was irreparable and needed a new boiler. 20 minutes later with a new pair of bearings it was whisper quiet. I happened to see the previous service sheet and the engineer had charged £24 for a new nozzle last time. No wonder there is bad press about the trade with rogues like that around.

I saw an invoice of a custs for a sika flow switch change, £136.00 + vat. She told me that that was what the engineer called the 'discount' price.

The last investigated smelly boiler was a half molten little kids plastic toy wedged under the lid by the stove enamel flue pipe.

I know I already mentioned this in another post some time ago but a customer called me out when they turned the boiler on first time for the autumn and got smoke coming out of the low level flue. I found a dead carbonised rat in the combustion chamber.

No rats yet, but a few minced mice in burners. Had a couple standard efficiency steamers. Shell gone on the inside but only leaking enough to produce steam for the first 20 minutes of running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Strange smell from boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back