Search the forum,

Discuss Strange pipe and kitchen smell in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

satanet

Hi. I have an internal soil pipe in my kitchen which runs from the bathroom directly above. It is encased in a plasterboard box. When I took the old kitchen out this pipe is sticking out of the wall which contains the soil pipe. I don't know what it is and I'm reluctant to unscrew the end. There is a faint smell of sewerage coming from the soil pipe and often there has been an unpleasant smell coming up the sink hole. The image has come out on its side but you can see the skirting is below it. Please does anyone know what this is for and what I should do with it IMG-20160701-WA0000.jpg

It is a compression type coupling with a blanking cap with screw access. I think it has possibly been left as an access rodding point. Either that or it is a branch that has been used previously, is no longer needed and has been capped.

Ah thank you very much. So I can just fit the new cupboard around it. Lucky you in the Channel Islands. I adore Guernsey

Now you need to figure out where the smell is coming from. If you suspect a leak and the smell is around the boxing you'll need to either open up the boxing and check for leaks or open ends/bosses on the stack. If you have access to a camera probe you could drill a hole in the boxing for a quick check.

I love it here in Guernsey too. It's been raining a lot this summer though, as it is right now. Still can't complain too much!

Start with compression joint that is right up against the boxing, is the smell coming from there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Strange pipe and kitchen smell in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock