Search the forum,

Discuss Strange patches of water on kitchen floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

My wife and I have been living in our flat (1st floor apartment) for a few months now. Every week or so we get small patches of water on the wooden kitchen floor. It's usually near our fridge-freezer but this morning a patch turned up around 3 feet from it. There are no water pipes around the area and no damp patches or cracks on the ceiling above. We have access to the loft (attic) above but I don't think there are any pipes overhead.

Any idea what might be causing it, or any advice for working out where the water is coming from?

Thanks

Michael

Hi all,

My wife and I have been living in our flat (1st floor apartment) for a few months now. Every week or so we get small patches of water on the wooden kitchen floor. It's usually near our fridge-freezer but this morning a patch turned up around 3 feet from it. There are no water pipes around the area and no damp patches or cracks on the ceiling above. We have access to the loft (attic) above but I don't think there are any pipes overhead.

Any idea what might be causing it, or any advice for working out where the water is coming from?

Thanks

Michael
Any animals in the house? Is it water? What does it smell like?

Reactions: rpm
No sorry, we usually mop it up as soon as it happens! I will take a photo next time, though I'm not sure how it will turn out on camera as the water is barely visible to the eye and the first we know about it is when our socks get wet! :(

Does your fridge freezer have an overflow tank ? Water will always find the lowest point, I`d leave paper hand towels around the fridge freezer and see if they become wet.

Any pictures?
Really! I mean C`mon, as an old timer I would of thought you could picture that in your head. 1st floor apartment with pool of water on wooden floor and a fridge freezer nearby. :)
(sent with humour).

Trying to think logically, is there any pattern ie say after using the washing m/c or dishwasher, is the area under the kitchen sink damp? Is there a water heater or boiler in the room and lastly do you or the good lady sleep walk? :D

Really! I mean C`mon, as an old timer I would of thought you could picture that in your head. 1st floor apartment with pool of water on wooden floor and a fridge freezer nearby. :)
(sent with humour).
Just trying to see where about on the floor and the bottom of the fridge? :p:p:p But get where your coming from. I just like a good picture me.:p

Reactions: rpm
Pull the fridge freezer out and see if its wet in the bottom of the back of it. Are the seals ok on the doors and the drain hole in the fridge compartment clear?

If you ram the fridge full of shopping then it can cause excess moisture in the fridge which will need to escape somewhere.

You could also put a ball bearing or marble on the floor by the fridge and see if it rolls to where you keep finding the pool of water.

Hi all,

It happened again yesterday, so I took a photo of the water, then laid kitchen roll over it so you can see the extent of the water.

I can't see a tray underneath the unit from the front, as the freezer door extends down almost to the floor. I haven't tried pulling it out to look at the rear. Any more thoughts?

Thanks again

20171012_204417.jpg 20171012_204743.jpg

Hi all,

It happened again yesterday, so I took a photo of the water, then laid kitchen roll over it so you can see the extent of the water.

I can't see a tray underneath the unit from the front, as the freezer door extends down almost to the floor. I haven't tried pulling it out to look at the rear. Any more thoughts?

Thanks again

View attachment 31385 View attachment 31386

Some ideas here, How to Fix a Leaking Fridge | eSpares
maybe google the make and model to see if it is a common fault.

Hi all,

Thanks again

View attachment 31385 View attachment 31386
Yep. Looks like fridge is leaking.

The fridge part of the fridge / freezer will have a small pipe running from the back at low level, through the back of the machine and down. This should terminate in a deep saucer shaped receptacle mounted to the motor housing. The idea is that ice melts off the back of the machine, runs down through the pipe and onto the "saucer", where heat from the motor evaporates it. If the pipe isn't directed to the saucer, or the saucer is cracked / broken, the water will run onto the floor. It only happens when a certain amount of ice has formed, so intermittent depending on loading / opening / closing.

Worth pulling the fridge / freezer out to check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Strange patches of water on kitchen floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed supply and all 6 in the block have a shared rising main pipe (I think unless there is meant to be more than one). Kitchen: From the ground floor to...
Replies
Views
Hi, we've just had someone round to fit lino in our toilet. He ripped up the old lino only to reveal a large wet patch around the toilet (see photo). The floor is damp to touch and I'm left wondering what could be the cause of this? Given the shape of the damp patch, would it likely be a leaking...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a strange grating noise when the mains water is running in a property I'm looking after. It's a ground floor flat, with a first floor flat above it, and both share the same mains water pipe, and I believe the stopcock behind the washing machine isolates all water to both properties...
Replies
Views
C
I live in an ex local authority end terrace house. I am unsure if I have an underground leak from a water pipe? Scottish Water tell me they can't help as there is no loss of water pressure and it's beyond the pavement. The tarmac at both corners are often damp, the front corner looks like the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock