Search the forum,

Discuss Strange grating noise when mains water is running in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Got a strange grating noise when the mains water is running in a property I'm looking after. It's a ground floor flat, with a first floor flat above it, and both share the same mains water pipe, and I believe the stopcock behind the washing machine isolates all water to both properties.

The grating noise happens whenever any hot or cold water outlet is run, in whichever flat.

This video shows the noise:

The hot water is from a newish combi boiler. Haven't had a chance to check water pressure yet but it seems pretty normal based on using taps etc.

I need to go back for a more thorough investigation but I think behind the washing machine there's a 15mm feed pipe into the main stopcock, then after it there is a 15mm tee to separate water supplies to upstairs and downstairs flats. Not aware of any obvious non return valves or pressure reducing valves, but not 100% sure only had a very quick look in poor light conditions! Would be massively appreciated if anyone could look at the video and suggest likely causes. My first thought would be dodgy stopcock, obviously not expensive to replace but I was told that had already been done, I'm not so sure though as it looks pretty old!

Cheers for any replies!

It could be,,
A worn out / failing water meter,
There's a gate valve in line and the gate is rattling,
There's a stopcock with the jumper (carries the washer) loose and rattling, maybe aggravated by valve not being fully open.
Something loose resting against the pipe,

It could be,,
A worn out / failing water meter,
There's a gate valve in line and the gate is rattling,
There's a stopcock with the jumper (carries the washer) loose and rattling, maybe aggravated by valve not being fully open.
Something loose resting against the pipe,
All helpful possibilities cheers, I'm hoping it'll be something simple like the stopcock, just never heard pipes making that kind of noise, banging and water hammer I'm aware of but I don't think it's that. Will post back when I've had a chance to have a proper look

Reply to Strange grating noise when mains water is running in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock