Search the forum,

Discuss Straight Through Pedestal Trap - Bad Smell? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Got one of these fitted on bathroom sink downstairs. Rotten egg/sewage smell coming from sink for some time now. Sink isn't blocked. Had a plumber out who cut some pipe off waste pipe (floor end) as pipe was bit bent and water had been backing up and leaking at base for a while. Leaking has stopped but smell is still there.

Is it possible faulty straight through pedestal trap is causing smell leak? Plumber seemed to be adamant it wasn't that as it wasn't a p-trap.

Straight through ped trap?
Do you mean a Hepvo or a compact S trap - sometimes called a kidney trap or a pedestal trap.
If it's a hepvo, the rubber bit can get gunked up and allow foul air back up, just needs a blast of water usually to clear it.
If you mean the compact S, it should hold a seal, you could have another appliance downstream of it syphoning the trap out, I'd recommend replacing it with the same trap that includes an air admittance valve.
Mcalpine do a compact S trap with an aav:
Straight Through Anti-Syphon Trap
If the trap is being pulled then you may need an aav on your soil pipe.

I'm not familiar with that trap, Victorian Plumbing...
If a customer has already bought their stuff from them and wants me to fit it I stick a VP tax on top of my quote, never had a job with their stuff that hasn't needed me to go back to them(or a proper merchant) for replacements/missing bits.
Swap it out for a McAlpine and see if your problem goes away.

Gut instinct says it's the trap playing up. Property is housing association and contract plumber is refusing to recall job, so now their sending a surveyor(?) to look at it. But yeah, think I'll get proper part (mcalpine) and fit it myself. Thanks for responding though...it's appreciated.

These pedestal type traps are notorious for clogging up. When clogged up with hair or other crap, they lose the 32mm water seal. It does sound that the seal is being pulled and then allowing foul smells up the pipe. I'd fit a standard type McAlpine "S" trap as these have a good seal and when turned close together, they don't take up much more space than one of these pedestal traps. You might need a AAV on the waste pipe too.

had loads of these always seems to have dirt in the trap. quickest way ive found is some drain acid , clears it straight away just make sure you use p.p.e

I'm not familiar with that trap, Victorian Plumbing...
If a customer has already bought their stuff from them and wants me to fit it I stick a VP tax on top of my quote, never had a job with their stuff that hasn't needed me to go back to them(or a proper merchant) for replacements/missing bits.
Swap it out for a McAlpine and see if your problem goes away.

VP tax hahaha what a good idea. I need to do that because nothing ever goes right with Victoria plumbing gear. I've started making sure the customer opens everything and checks for damages on delivery also. The amount of times I've turnt upto do the jobs and the basins in bits or the vanity units smashed up is unreal

VP tax hahaha what a good idea. I need to do that because nothing ever goes right with Victoria plumbing gear. I've started making sure the customer opens everything and checks for damages on delivery also. The amount of times I've turnt upto do the jobs and the basins in bits or the vanity units smashed up is unreal
I had the pleasure of fitting a bathroom for family not realising it was victoria plumb ......... never again !

It's not just VP that's at fault. Most of those online bathroom retailers sell cheap imported made in China tat at inflated prices. The same taps for instance also sell on Ebay at much lower prices, these online retailers kid people on by giving them fancy brand names. I was asked to fit a loo supplied by a customer that she bought online and it had more filler in it than a Polyfilla factory. It's a shame that high quality British brand names such as Carron Bathrooms located in Falkirk are struggling to stay afloat and all this cheap Chinese crap is selling like hot cakes.

Reply to Straight Through Pedestal Trap - Bad Smell? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock