Search the forum,

Discuss Stop Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Leoki

Hello, i need to replace the main incoming stop valve supplying my property, do you need to get the permission from the local water undertaker (water company) to turn the stop valve off in the service chamber which in my case is just outside of my boundary on the footpath ? I vaguely recall someone once telling me you need their permission as it is technically their equipment and if there is a problem, e.g a leak having touched their stop valve they can get funny about it.

I intend replacing the existing stop valve with a full bore level valve, EN331 standard for ease of use.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can turn the valve off in the meter box buried in your street

dont need to ask the water board

i agree water company wont get ansty about you touching their stop valve

The only problem is if it is too stiff, I stop and don't force it (no puns intended). If you snap it and water stops or flies out of the hole its classed as an emergency and someone will have to pay.

If it is knackered then they'll come out repair it for free normally withing a week in my area

i had a customer who had a crooked stopcock in the pavement there was no way i could shut it off so got customer to phone southern
water and it was replaced within three hours with a nice new plastic 1/4 turn one.

Don't be surprised if there doesn't appear to be a stopcock under the cover. If frequently needs half an hour of digging out the muck before you even get to see the blighter.

I'm sure someone will put me right!! but I remeber being told that back in the day you were allowed to turn it off, but had to get someone qualified to turn it back on!! but I think that goes back to the old days where there was a chance off you indoing the ferrel when you opened up the stopcock!!
but that said the water companies have no probs with you turning it on and off, as that whats its for!!
EG. water pouring out and flooding the kitchen. do you?
A- run outside and turn off stopcock or
B- rumage round find suppliers contact number, phone listen to Greensleves for 10mins then ask if its ok to turn off your stopcock!!

Don't be surprised if there doesn't appear to be a stopcock under the cover. If frequently needs half an hour of digging out the muck before you even get to see the blighter.

if its not accessible then call water board and they will uncover it. There was a faze of idiots putting needles down in stop tap chambers so care is needed when putting your hand down.

you will need to give notice/gain permission if your tap turn off more than just your property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Stop Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Stopcock in kitchen wall panel turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Red gate valve in airing cupboard next to bathroom turns off...
Replies
Views
Hello, I received an offer from the Water Board for a LDC MDPE 50mm connection. We are currently laying the works required in our boundary. A stop valve is required for the external meter chamber but we are unsure which type to buy? There are many available online with substantially...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a stopcock in my closet at my flat, but despite me turning it clockwise all the way, this doesn't seem to be stopping the flow of water. Is there anyway I can check if that truly is the stopcock and if not, is there a way I can find the actual one? I just want to stop the water flow...
Replies
Views
B
I need to switch off my water at the external stop valve to do a permanent fix on a pipe between that valve and my internal stop valve. There is no tap to turn on the external valve, just a round nozzle with no obvious way of twisting it. Thames Water is not responding. Any advice on how I...
Replies
Views
We just had a waterhole bored and were lucky enough to find a flowing artesian, which delivers just over 500 gallons an hour without needing a pump. We need to feed only about a litre a minute into our reservoir, as this is sufficient for our rural household needs. I installed a Speedfit...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock