Discuss Stop Tap Gland packing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

b830ag2

Hi all,

I'm an amateur DIY plumber. I like to have a go at simple things in the house myself, to save money, and usually do ok following a bit of research, common sense and a bit of swearing!

A new one on me though....my internal Stop Tap/Cock is leaking from up between the spindle and the gland nut.
A bit of research on the net suggests I should be able to undo the gland nut, pick out the packing that's in there, put some PTFE tape around the spindle, push down into the housing, re-tighten the gland nut and bob's your uncle. Sounds fairly easy.

However, I have a question, having never done this before....and if anyone can advise I would appreciate it.

1) Do I have to isolate the supply to do this? i.e. turn the main street stopcock off? I can imagine that when I undo the gland nut that the leak will be exacerbated, but will the leak be excessive? or is it manageable with a few rags whilst I install the new packing? Also, thinking about it, do I have to turn the internal stop tap off i.e. the one that is leaking?

Many thanks,
Andy

yeah, thanks for the tip. i'd already checked this though as i was aware of this potential issue. tap turns ok......
i'll just be keeping an eye on it from time to time now, especially when i turn if off again in the future...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Stop Tap Gland packing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back