1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss Stolen tools insurance claim in the Insurance for Plumbers area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. edd789

edd789 New Member

Hello,

Today/last night sometime my 18v DeWalt SDS was stolen from a van owned by a guy I work for, it was parked outside another subbies house as he is the one insured to drive it. I'm fully insured but I'm curious as to how a claim will affect next year's premium, if at all.

Any advice from anyone that's been in my position is welcome.

Also, who would you hold responsible for the drill? Myself for leaving it in the van, the guy who had the van at the time or the company I sub for that owns the van?

It'd be great for if either of the others took responsibility and atleast paid for the insurance excess.

2. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Have a look at your excess, might be more than the cost if the drill. All insurance company's pass information, so your premium might go up.
    as for who is responsible, that's you I'm afraid. Unless you have an agreement with your employer, but as you sub contract. I bet there isn't one.

sorry to be the bearer of more bad news after the theft.

3. edd789

edd789 New Member

The drill is worth nearly 4.5x the excess, so it's lower than the cost of the drill. The premium was the thing I'm more bothered about.

There's no agreement, it just means that I won't be using my own tools in the future if others aren't going to take responsibility when my tools are in their care/possession.

4. kozak1968

kozak1968 Plumber GSR

If you make a claim it would need to be worth while. The premiums on the insurance may affect you for a few years to come.

5. edd789

edd789 New Member

That's exactly what I want to know from people who've been in my position.

Drill is £400-450 depending where you buy it from. Excess is £100. So if my insurance is going to increase by £100 over the next three years, the claim isn't worth it.

But it does mean that I'll basically be paying for the drill over 3 years instead of a lump sum. Work is lacking at the moment and don't want to be paying out £400 if I can help it.

Hoping the guy I work for will be decent and pay the excess but I'm not holding my breathe.

6. REDSAW

REDSAW Well-Known Member

premium shouldnt go up unless you claimed in last 4 years!

you need an incident number

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  7. edd789

edd789 New Member

Never had a claim before. It's my first year of having my own PLI insurance.

8. REDSAW

REDSAW Well-Known Member

that goes against you as you aint got 'no-claims' discount..what about the other tools!!!!!!;)

9. edd789

edd789 New Member

I have no claims discount but strangely, they took my years at college as 'experience'. So instead of having 2/3 years experience, I've got 5/6.

10. REDSAW

REDSAW Well-Known Member

had a claim like this years ago, claimed of the companies van for inadequate locks on the truck.
    your insurance may counterclaim of the van ins ?

11. edd789

edd789 New Member

I'm sure they'd try to get their money back some how. There's been loads of burglaries around here lately, apparently there's a group of people with a Ford Transit skeleton key getting into vans and taking the contents. That what the police said when we reported it earlier.

12. PhoenixServices

PhoenixServices Plumber GSR

Where you based ed. my mates both got done over on a site by a guy with a skeleton key. In reading.

13. edd789

edd789 New Member

I'm in Hertfordshire. These people have been all over the country, they've been caught on CCTV doing it. That's what the police have said anyway.