Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Stiff shower valve - how to proceed? in the Valves & Taps area at

  1. Jennie

    Jennie GSR

    Hi all,

    My customer has a Mira Gem 88 mixer shower. It's 12 years old, and has recently become tight to turn (most likely scaled up). It runs from a combi boiler, and has isolation valves on the pipework.

    How best to proceed? (I'm new to shower repairs).

    I suppose my options are:

    1-Take it apart and soak the cartridge overnight in white vinegar, and see if that frees it up
    2- Replace the cartridge (costs about £90 for the cartridge)
    3- Replace the entire mixer shower (about £181)

    I'd be interested to hear your thoughts,


  2. Chalked

    Chalked Plumber GSR

    I think it's a plastic cartridge. So impossible to clean.

    I would just replace the cartridge.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. townfanjon

    townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    12 years , my vote is to change the lot
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ShaunCorbs

    ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    strip down and re grease and new cartridge
    • Like Like x 1
  5. moonlight

    moonlight Plumber GSR

    New cartridge best option, and a good clean inside the valve.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Paulplumb

    Paulplumb Plumber GSR

    As townfanjon suggests replace. You could try calling Mira and seeing how much a fixed price repair will be. Ive found they can often do the repair cheaper than i can buy the bits for. Their number is 01242 262888
  7. moonlight

    moonlight Plumber GSR

    National shower spares. Not too bad for price. Quick delivery. Don't know what your merchants would charge
  8. jtsplumbing

    jtsplumbing Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    Cartridge replacement is best option ! but depends what customer wants to spend !!
  9. YorkshireDave

    YorkshireDave Member

    Whilst it's occasionally possible to descale a cartridge the cost involved should it not work is difficult to justify as it's not guaranteed. By far and away the best option is to buy a replacement cartridge. Just make sure it's a real Mira and not a fake and be sure to properly clean up around the entry ports.
Similar Threads - Stiff shower valve Forum Date
How stiff is 15mm copper coil Plumbing Forum May 6, 2017
A standard problem. Plastic bath leaking from over head shower. Looking for a Plumber? Post Jobs Here Thursday at 12:29 PM
shower pump advice Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms Thursday at 8:50 AM
shower and bath waste problems Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms Thursday at 12:05 AM
Bath / Shower waste problems Plumbing Forum Wednesday at 11:58 PM
Shower/Mixer tap diverter valve issue. New Member Introductions Wednesday at 4:33 PM
Shower tray waste route? Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms Sunday at 9:48 PM