Search the forum,

Discuss Stiff shower valve - how to proceed? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,

My customer has a Mira Gem 88 mixer shower. It's 12 years old, and has recently become tight to turn (most likely scaled up). It runs from a combi boiler, and has isolation valves on the pipework.

How best to proceed? (I'm new to shower repairs).

I suppose my options are:

1-Take it apart and soak the cartridge overnight in white vinegar, and see if that frees it up
2- Replace the cartridge (costs about £90 for the cartridge)
3- Replace the entire mixer shower (about £181)

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts,

Cheers,

Jennie

I think it's a plastic cartridge. So impossible to clean.

I would just replace the cartridge.

strip down and re grease and new cartridge

As townfanjon suggests replace. You could try calling Mira and seeing how much a fixed price repair will be. Ive found they can often do the repair cheaper than i can buy the bits for. Their number is 01242 262888

National shower spares. Not too bad for price. Quick delivery. Don't know what your merchants would charge

Cartridge replacement is best option ! but depends what customer wants to spend !!

Whilst it's occasionally possible to descale a cartridge the cost involved should it not work is difficult to justify as it's not guaranteed. By far and away the best option is to buy a replacement cartridge. Just make sure it's a real Mira and not a fake and be sure to properly clean up around the entry ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Stiff shower valve - how to proceed? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

This is driving me bonkers! I have a Jaquar shower mixer unit - which has started to leak from the diverter cartridge. I think it's an early Florentine model circa 2006 though not 100% sure. I've removed the faceplate, unscrewed the chrome collar - and now want to extract the diverter...
Replies
Views
M
I have a Bristan recessed valve shower. It was installed 11 years ago - but hardly used as the handles are far too stiff. I have now had the cartridge replaced - but no improvement. I have been speaking to a plumber who suggested it may be as well to replace the shower [which I am prepared to...
Replies
Views
Hello. My mixer shower (non-electric) recently started running luke warm. I know this can happen at this time of year over winter but I've been in the property over 10 years and it's never been this bad before. The combi boiler was checked and is ok. The hot water from taps is uneffected and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Aqualisa Midas thermostatic shower that has a very stiff temperature control. I have taken off the control knob and unscrewed the small cartridge screw with a hex key, but the cartridge is stuck fast inside the valve. I think it's a build up of limescale over several years and it...
Replies
Views
M
i currently have a valve/cartridge that controls only temperature is you turn it one way or the other. is it possible to remove the cartridge to replace it with one that can control both volume and flow rate? it may be about 30 years old/original to home. everything is accessible as i am...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock