Search the forum,

Discuss Sterling 40 coil voltage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennythedip

Gas Engineer
Hi all,
Had a quick look at a sterling 40 this evening. There was no oil going to nozzle but definitely oil in the pump. I checked the voltage going to the coil and its 80volts. Is that enough to open the valve? Didn't have magnet to stick on it to see if it would run. All your input appreciated.

duff solenoid, jammed valve hard to say as I just stick a solenoid tester over the top to see if it lights up or not more important is whether or not you are getting the correct pressure off the pump to push the nozzle spring open, which negates the need for voltage test really.

Was only a quick stop on way home, thought it might be a 5min job. Not much fun when it's pitch black with hail stones battering off ya so I just left it!

silly boy, only work on external boilers when the sun is shining

can't work on them in the wet, my risk assessor says I might get electrocuted :)

Just for anyone that's interested, the photocell was faulty. I rembered I came across this a few years ago as I wouldn't work on a sterling burner too often. I'm still not sure if it means that the correct voltage is not sent out when it checks resistance of photocell or not. I forgot to check what's the voltage sent out to coil when it's running correctly. It's a sneaky one!!

There is normally 50-80v to coil when boiler in purge mode, this is then upped to 230-240 when coil needs to be energised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sterling 40 coil voltage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock