Discuss Sponsor Alert - online merchants in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ray Stafford

Hi All

As I have mentioned on other threads, we are working on an ecommerce site to sit alongside our brick and mortar business.

I have been doing some research in the last week, particularly looking at sites offering boilers and other heating products online.

The ones I have researched most thoroughly are Plumbnation, Discounted Heating, Boilers2Go, BHL, Direct Heating Supplies, PTS CEN and Ultimate Discount (also known as Mr Central Heating and Compass).

I have been looking at their prices, delivery costs and times etc, but what I can't tell easily is the quality of service that they give.

A few questions:

1) Do any of you use them occasionally/regularly?

2) If so, what is the service like?

3) If you don't, is there any reason why not?

4) I see that most of them say 3-5 day delivery. Is that any good? I had expected to offer next day delivery, or 48 hours latest for orders placed late. Are we trying too hard?

5) Have I missed any really important ones? (I also have a Plumbfix book). There are loads out there, but most seem to be offering either indifferent pricing or a narrow product range.

Our aim is to set up an ecommerce site that mirrors our normal business - ie trade-only, human service, known brands, cheap nett prices, no frills. Although anyone will be able to view the site, prices and "buy now" will be hidden unless you log in, and you will only be allowed access if you are genuinely in the trade. That allows our trade customers to show the end user what they are getting, without compromising the trade prices. (although to be honest, on boilers particularly, there ain't much in it). Existing Williams customers will get access by using their account ID, and GSRs by using their GSR number and postcode - we can automate this. Others potential customers will need to prove their trade status manually.

We also want to make it a bit more human than the average web-purchase experience, so we will encourage people to call us, and we will actively try to call customers with queries about their orders - rather than email or text.

I would be interested in any views - what you love about sites you buy from, and what you hate about others.

When we are closer to launching, we will also be looking for a small and select band of site testers to give us feedback before we launch, and to test the various carriers and packaging. There will be some freebies etc for those who help, so PM me if you are interested. (But it will require some work, and being prepared to engage in some real transactions).

One final question - would the fact that we sponsor the forum make you more likely/less likely to trade online with us? Or no difference? You can answer that privately in a PM if you prefer :)

Thanks in advance.

Ray

When you hoping to be up and running ray

Sometime in 2013, but we won't be rushing it. More important to get it right than to get it quick. I would like to be piloting by easter - possibly with a limited stock range - reformatting all that data is quite a task. If it takes a year of even two years to get it how I want it, then thats what it takes. We have a few bricks and mortar branches to open in 2013 as well, although its a different team working on that.

Though the last boiler I had from BHL looked as though someone had dropped the box, it was fairly mashed up.

Thats one of the issues I have been looking at.

Delivery in the South East is easy - we have our own vans covering that. Entrusting high value, breakable items to carriers is another issue altogether. Do they add any additional packaging to things like boilers and particularly flue kits?

I use BES for the odd stuff that I can't get locally but the big problem for me is delivery. There's no one at home during the day so I have to have stuff delivered to my parents or to site. With such large delivery time slots it ties you down too much for me to use mail order except when absolutely necessary. Especially with things like boilers when I like to check that the new one is correct and in good nick before I start ripping out the old still working one. If I used mail order I could be sitting on my backside most of the day. Plumb center or SPS will normally drop off my boilers first drop if I ask them nicely.

We have a few bricks and mortar branches to open in 2013 as well, although its a different team working on that.

... but the big problem for me is delivery. There's no one at home during the day so I have to have stuff delivered to my parents or to site. With such large delivery time slots it ties you down too much for me to use mail order except when absolutely necessary.

We are creeping closer to you Mike. I expect to have a physical branch in Hastings at some point in the next 15 months. :)

Thats one of the issues I have been looking at.

Delivery in the South East is easy - we have our own vans covering that. Entrusting high value, breakable items to carriers is another issue altogether. Do they add any additional packaging to things like boilers and particularly flue kits?

No they don't Ray. It's OK with larger items, as they're heavy and normally well packaged by the manufacturer.... but things like Amptec electric boilers only weigh about 6KG but still cost over £500. I'm sure they get chucked around in the van.

Co-incidently, I was stuck in traffic today, and there was a van parked with the rear doors open. The bloke in the Brown uniform (though it was a transit van not one of their vans) was kneeling/standing on top of all the boxes, obviously trying to find the correct package in the van. I noticed he was right on top of Hewlett Packard box. So obviously a PC or laptop inside. Glad it wasn't mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sponsor Alert - online merchants in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back