Search the forum,

Discuss Speedfit temporary cap ends!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chalked

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
If they are temporary. Why is it, that I keep having to buy them????

whats going on:dizzy2::dizzy2::dizzy2:

You get to keep the one's the diyers leave attached before they call you in...lol regards Turnpin:smile5:

and keep loosing them?

Same feeling I have that feeling too then you end up second fixing loads and end up with loads of the things

I've lost a few but also lashed a few after they've become old and buggered

I've lost a few but also lashed a few after they've become old and buggered

If they go stiff silicon spray helps a lot

Very handy, but I never trust them and only use them to stop debris getting in to pipe ends or as a temporary secondary stopend (like after a valve), or temporary plugging a vent pipe or to give me time while I work with pipes with water in them. They fail so easily and can be knocked off too easily. A smear of silicone grease on their O ring keeps them easy to slip onto pipes.
I was removing a shower pump yesterday, and one of the not dissimilar to Speedfit joint pump hoses started leaking when I touched it despite me having the water off.

If they go stiff silicon spray helps a lot

You beat me to that! I find older, dry and slightly tarnished pipes are difficult getting the push fit onto & especially off, without some silicone grease on the fitting.
But whatever happens some of the Speedfit after you use them loads of times,- they just stop gripping the pipe.
I prefer brass stopends and just replace the olive for anything risky. I have 2 brass stopends on an unoccupied flat at moment to keep basin pipes safe if someone turns stopcock on to flat.

Last edited:
I just don't trust them, only temporary use to get the water back on for the kettle,,!

I just don't trust them, only temporary use to get the water back on for the kettle,,!

I've got a set on a job capping the shower feeds off as a temporary untill the new shower was fitted, that was 14 months ago, customers got 3 other showers and doesn't want to spend the money, I'm still fearing the day her number rings me

I've got a set on a job capping the shower feeds off as a temporary untill the new shower was fitted, that was 14 months ago, customers got 3 other showers and doesn't want to spend the money, I'm still fearing the day her number rings me

Not your problem mate, twelve month guarantee isn't it?

I use them after first fix. Aleays have a couple in my pocket for that emergency. Wouldnt trust it as a permanent cap though.

A bit of spit on little finger to lube it up if its an old speedfit cap. I will throw it away if it looks old though

Last edited:
A lot of push fit fittings are already lubricated with silicone grease, although it isn't always visible. Some copper push fit have a ridiculously big amount of grease inside them when new.
I like to lube the tapered tip of my pipe with a slight smear of grease before I attempt to push it in. And I know how that sounds. :smile:

A lot of push fit fittings are already lubricated with silicone grease, although it isn't always visible. Some copper push fit have a ridiculously big amount of grease inside them when new.
I like to lube the tapered tip of my pipe with a slight smear of grease before I attempt to push it in. And I know how that sounds. :smile:

:D you sure we're on the same topic, leave the application to croppies section at Friday nights ;)

Did a job for the neighbour of a work colleague 13(I think) years ago when I was in college doing my first plumbing course.
It was to remove a downstairs cloakroom, the hot and cold were fed down from the ceiling cavity and I cut them and put 2 John Guest speedfit stop ends on, then proceeded to remove the basin and W.C.
Got a mate to mortar a couple of bricks in the hole were the soil was and put a 4'' cap in the soil spigot after removing the old soil from the loo. I was pleased as punch with the job.
Fast forward to last summer - got a call to install a cloakroom, went round and recognised the house, I knew I'd worked there before but wasn't sure when or what it was I did there, the lady of the house didn't recognise me either.
Anyway she explains that there used to be a cloakroom and she wants one putting back, has a look and remembered the job, looked up and those 15mm JG stop ends were still there holding fine.
In the process of doing the job I found the McDonald's wrapper in the cavity where my mate had bricked up the hole, he's rough as sandpaper that lad ;) /irony

TLDR: I know they 'can' last 13 years without problems :)

As above aslong as there put on all the way and not messed with haven't had one come off

I bought about 30 15mm caps for a job last year, I took them all off when I 2nd fixed it and put them safely in my van, I now have about 6!!!! I have no idea what has happened to them I only use them as temporary caps so I haven't used them they have just vanished!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Speedfit temporary cap ends!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock