Search the forum,

Discuss speedfit fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

whyme!

I am having building work done at the moment. The person doing the plumbing is using speedfit connections for water and heating below floorboards, and connecting from old copper with a type of plastic pipe that connects via the speedfits. Is this normal these days, or should he be using copper below floors?
He has also put a connection(compression) joint below a block and beam ground floor.
None of this seems right to me.

Im very new to plumbing and am only self taught so my advice is only from my own experience. Speed fit is as it says and it makes the job much quicker it is designed for heating aswell as domestic water i use both copper and speedfit it all depends on the job at hand. as long as he is using the pipe inserts which stiffen the ends of the plastic and also create a secondary seal then you should have no problems.
John Guest - The World Leader in Push-in Fittings, Pipe and Plastic Plumbing Systems
this should put your mind at ease.

Good luck..
Mat

Sometimes we have to mix and match as the exsisting plumbing and building can dictate how a job is done. Plastic is OK , I would always recommend pressure testing the system prior to filling just in case.

Hi, speedfit is no problem for what you are wary about, its the inthing for most new constructions having these pipes and connectors but you should have around a couple of metres of copper pipe from the main source of heat before the plastic pipes are started. on a different note i am currently in talks with john guest and a couple of other companies regarding a new range of products i have patented recently, which are like speedfit but come in two halves to be clamped around a straight, Y ,T or Elbow/Bend in the event of a leak or break in the pipe as a emergency or permanent repair, so it eliminates the need to drain or shut down the system for not only the pro but also the ordinary joe public. quick, easy and cost effective. i have just come off of an american plumbing forum and they being pro's and seeing business loss deleted my idea after a while to which i only wanted feedback and views. i know there are clamps, speedfits and bulky repair kits but this is niche. Let me know your view.

Regards
Paul Stoner

You should make sure you can access any compression fittings under the floors once everything is made good...think that's in the building regs (off to read books....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to speedfit fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock