Search the forum,

Discuss speed fit on secondary return in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technically plasticiser will leach out of system where water is always changing ,hence more brittle (less spring back to keep things sealed)

Sealed circuit (ie-Boiler) , plasticiser cannot escape gets re-circulated

( PURE Theory no experiece with plastic plumbing--)

Loss of plasticiser and enbrittlement == fact

Trade offs a) How hot
b) How much water thru system
c) How many years of life
d) How many hours a day pump runs
e) Price of install

Life whole system needs to last -vs- water thru system for effect to happen

Copper rules !
Think your theory is wrong, seen plastic that has been used for dhw that is 25 years old and is still ok, not brittle at all

dhw that is 25 years old and is still ok, not brittle at all

But did that water keep getting mixed/re-circulated with 210 litres of fresh water ,ready to soak up more plasticiser ?

( only needs to happen to softer seals to be a problem )

Last edited:
may not have seen effects of plasticiser in pipes ,but seen it leach out of cables and damage painted surfaces -within a year-
Insulation on cable is PVC and should not be painted with gloss and is not the same material as plastic pipe :)

Has water running through it every time tap is turned....you been on the pop ? :)

The total no. of litres flow at final outlet ,must be nothing compared with continuous replenish hot with hot that happens within pumped secondary return , that stays hot so boosts leaching effect

( any YES Cider )

personally if the manufacturers say dont use it, I wouldnt, as come the day it fails, you are in the pooh as the installer who has to defend your actions.

The total no. of litres flow at final outlet ,must be nothing compared with continuous replenish hot with hot that happens within pumped secondary return , that stays hot so boosts leaching effect

( any YES Cider )
If it leeched into water it would be banned

the manufacturers don"t say not to use it they say don"t use it on a continuously circulating return maintained at a constant high temperature, I f you're gonna quote the manufacturer at least take the time to read it and get it right!

Insurers will be more happy with leakage from sealed domestic CH system, as its un-likely to flood downstairs.

Un-like 3 bar (mains-fed) hot water , plenty of potential damage .

A good reason for G3 ticket , and a service once in a while !

You lot still arguing about this?!?

It's Sunday evening, who gives a tish!!!

Personally, I'd say mike Jackson got it spot on. It's not been approved for the relevant specification because its not worth the bothering financially.

Doubt it makes any odds, I'd be surprised if it wasn't tested for 24/7 use. Plenty of applications where heating could be on continuously and for them to release a product that couldn't withstand 'worse case scenario' would be utterly stupid.

G3 doesn't make any mention of hot water returns in plastic, I"d love to know how you service a plastic pipe?

don"t use it on a continuously circulating return maintained at a constant high temperature,

My point is ,compare years to failure if constant
with how many more you will get if its not constant . ( Warranty period ? )

Insurers don't like paying for gamblers !

( Have not read instructions as I don't fit )

I"ll choose to ignore it as I dont do nursing homes

I don't do nursings homes but I have clients that are from the Middle East. Usually seven+ bedrooms and bathrooms with servants quarters. They all come and go at different times throughout the year and the set up suits their lifestyle/needs.

Would you plumb the secondary return in plastic?

Last edited:
the manufacturers say no to a return that"s on 24 hours a day why would you install a system that runs through the night, it should also be on a stat to stop the pump running needlessly, then again you would know that being an experienced plumber

And you're point being?

I just looked at a job , is a massive house and they want two UHWC ? Shall I run the secondary return in plastic ?

Can you use flexi's on systems that have a secondary return ??:lol:

Im sure they would be less able to cope with hot water passing close by 24 hrs a day ! !

If it leeched into water it would be banned

Ok , this may not be exact failure mechanism

( A bit of O2 oxidation , a pinch of Chlorine/Florine ,and some plain old heat-creep )
( external paint / vehicle fumes etc )

Most of the problem is it may have a long 8hr shift
-Hot all day long For Chemicals
........................Heat softening to make a difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to speed fit on secondary return in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock