Discuss Sooted up boiler and other tips in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bunker the photos you take seem very good quality. This isn't being taken with a phone is it?
yer, my iPhone. It staggers me the quality it can take. Thanks for your comment but I just point n shoot. :)

Wrap a load of PTFE round it and it won't leak.

I don't use compression fittings as this tends to happen, never have. Rare to get a leak from a flared fitting. I only use compressions where there are space contraints.

Last edited:
If you can't find the test point plug / screw for the boiler after you've finished doing a combustion test, it's usually stuck to the magnet on the back of your analyser.

List of suggested oil engineers tools (by no means definitive)

I only carry one type of flexi hose, the one HWOS calls Long01. If I find a different one on, I change the fittings to suit the Long01 hose. I don't see the point of carrying loads of different ended hoses. In all the time I have been doing boilers I have only ever come across 2 boilers which this hose did not fit and needed an elbow at the opposite end to the pump because of shortage of space.

I recommend that everyone gets into the habit of using flared fittings as opposed to compressions. The best price seems to be HWOS or BES

1. Combustion analyser and printer (I scrounge till rolls from my local pub for it as one lasts ages and I'd never get through a full box of them)
  2. Smoke pump and papers
  3. Pressure and vacuum gauge set
  4. Fuel priming pump (one from an automotive supplier is adequate) and rubber hose that will fit on the end.
  5. Bearing puller for removing fans and motor bearings - I find this is the best BERGEN Prof Heavy Duty Bearing Puller 'B' Type 24-55mm on eBay (end time 06-Mar-11 19:11:56 GMT)
  6. couple of pairs of 6202RS bearings (from Ebay - but only get good branded ones, SKF, NTC etc) You'll know when the bearings are worn as the burner motor will make a rumbling / whining noise. You can also purchase from an automotive supplier as they are the same as alternator bearings.
  7. Pump drive couplings from HWOS
  8. Selection of nipples, elbows, couplings etc from the fittings page at HWOS
  9. Pipe flaring tool
  10. OFTEC forms - servicing and commissioning, oil storage risk assessment, installation
  11. One of those magnetic pickup tools which looks like a radio aerial with a magnet on the end
  12. 1/4" ratchet set and extension pieces (get a good quality set such as Britool)
  13. T handle long reach hex set
  14. Screwdriver handled socket driver
  15. glass rope and glass rope adhesive
  16. STAG B jointing compound (prefer this to Heldite another post mentioned as Heldite is awful to get off your fingers etc)
  17. PTFE tape (normal and gas tite (yellow spool))
  18. rolls of 10mm and 8mm copper pipe (white plastic coated) and roll of uncoated
  19. spare 3m 65 and 90 degreesC Teddington KBB fire valves (you can get more of different sizes as you go on) 1.5m is too small for many sites.
  20. GOOD selection of nozzles (from 0.50 to 1.0 USgall/h - larger ones you won't come across often and can order them as required. Get just kerosene ones to begin with (ES & EH). Some boilers will specify W nozzles you can buy as and when on next day delivery)
  21. PLENTY of 10mm brass inserts for copper pipe (HWOS do packs of 100)
  22. Selection of steel nuts for when you loose some behind the back of a boiler so you don't need to spend ages looking for them.
  23. Heat proof gloves for dismantling hot combustion chambers (I use welders gloves)
  24. disposable vinyl gloves like the dentist uses
  25. Barrier cream
  26. Beaded hand cleaner
  27. Hand cream
  28. One of each of the cleaning brushes that HWOS do
  29. Container to put waste oil into when cleaning out filters etc
  30. Spare filter elements (just get the two Crossland ones to begin with)
  31. Vacuum cleaner and spare bags (I use an old VAX cleaner but any will do)
  32. Dust sheets
  33. Kneepads (a MUST HAVE!)
  34. Tub of fire cement
  35. Tube of heatseal silicone and gun
  36. Multimeter
  37. Spare 3 amp fuses (a lot of boilers just have 13 amp fitted so should be changed)
  38. Boiler manufacturers literature to show to customers when persuading them to change to a new boiler.
  39. long 18/19mm drill but for drillling holes through walls for oil lines / fire valve capillaries
  40. Parts organiser boxes for all your fittings
  41. Nozzle box
  42. Set of flat, pozi and philips screwdrivers
  43. 8mm copper pipe and fittings for where you have a tank lower than the boiler (lot of people post problems on here caused by too large diameter pipe where tank is lower than boiler - always follow the table in the OFTEC book!)
  44. Set of combination spanners from 6mm up to 21mm and inlcuding ALL the inbetween sizes
  45. Scraper (paint scraper)
  46. Selection of metric machine screws (probably be able to get an assortment box from Toolstation these days)
  47. Torch (head torches are useful)
  48. Tape measure
  49. Circlip pliers
  50. pump pliers
  51. Standard pliers/nippers
  52. Set of adjustable spanners
  53. Selection of brass bushes, 3/8 to 1/4, 1/2 to 1/4 and 1/2 to 3/8 for example
  54. Mini pipe bender
  55. Round profile drift for reshaping deformed pipe ends.
  56. Small flat, rat tail and half round files
  57. Set of T handled Torx drivers
  58. Selection of o rings including 13mm ID x 4mm for Sika flow switches

Last edited by a moderator:
Another tip:

Intermittent cut out problem that happens only a few times a year with balanced flues.

This could be wind blowing fumes back into the flue which starves the boiler of oxygen.

If you lose your smoke chart then help is at hand!

http://www.soliftec.com/Ringelmann Smoke Chart.pdf

Also a handy app for nozzle calculation - Both Android and Iphone.

[DLMURL="http://www.eogb.co.uk/content/eogb-launch-nozzle-calculator-app-iphone-and-android-phones"]EOGB launch nozzle calculator App for iPhone and Android phones | EOGB Energy Products Ltd[/DLMURL]

If you lose your smoke chart then help is at hand!

http://www.soliftec.com/Ringelmann Smoke Chart.pdf

Also a handy app for nozzle calculation - Both Android and Iphone.

[DLMURL="http://www.eogb.co.uk/content/eogb-launch-nozzle-calculator-app-iphone-and-android-phones"]EOGB launch nozzle calculator App for iPhone and Android phones | EOGB Energy Products Ltd[/DLMURL]
Lol cheers mate did steve PM ya mate

Stuck baffles - smear the edges with open gear grease (aerosol type is less messy), put a rag on top of the baffle and soak rag with spray from a DIY pipe freezing aerosol. You will need a large adjustable or mole wrench clamped up tight on the baffle edge to give you some leverage.

Have removed sulphur debris jamming baffles using swimming pool tile cleaner (make sure the combustion chamber is thoroughly washed down and dried out afterwards so you don't leave any in)

Last edited:
I cant believe this hasnt been said! Always...always....always kill the power to the boiler or unplug the burner!

who knew a pair of snickers trousers could withstand a .60 es for a second.......
yeah kinda wondering why i continued on with my apprentiship after that!

I cant believe this hasnt been said! Always...always....always kill the power to the boiler or unplug the burner!

who knew a pair of snickers trousers could withstand a .60 es for a second.......
yeah kinda wondering why i continued on with my apprentiship after that!

It hasn't been said as we kind of assume that anyone working on boilers is not sufficiently clueless or intoxicated as to need to be told something like this any more than they need to be told to bring a toolbox with them when they go to work on a boiler, or to put their underpants on when they get dressed. Anyone who actually needs to be told to kill the power shouldn't be let anywhere near a boiler, or for that matter be allowed to drive a vehicle to get to said boiler either.

Last edited:
tills rolls are too long for testo i have tons of them i have to pull off about 10 yards of roll to get it to fit lol

Drift is like a spike with a handle which you can push into the end of the pipe. You can remove any dings and make the pipe circular again to get fittings on.

Another cause for sooting up which I did not mention before as I originally considered it to be an easy one to spot but apparently not so, is for some of the early balanced flue boilers the rockwool stuffing can degrade and allow combustion gases back in. To fix you simply need to unclip the front retaining cover and re-stuff with rockwool (wear mask and gloves as its nasty stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sooted up boiler and other tips in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back