Search the forum,

Discuss Soon to be ex-military in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm currently in the RAF and i'm getting out with the intention of a career change.
I'm looking at Plumbing/heating engineer.

I'm on this site looking for any tips or helpful info that can get me heading in the right direction. Such as, what are the best courses to do, what qualifications are essential starting in the plumbing/heating world. We have resettlement packages available to us but reading in other places a lot of people have said be aware as you think you are getting the correct qual's but it may not be the case.

Also are there any ex military on here that have done this in the last few years.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Mark

Hello and welcome

tbh unless your area really has a shortage of plumbers or gas fitters which I don't think is the case I would choose different line of work

This may seem harsh but it's frankly the truth

Thanks Shaun, honest answers are what i am after. Can i ask why is this your opinion? is it the type of work or lack of work, or something completely different?

Thanks Shaun, honest answers are what i am after. Can i ask why is this your opinion? is it the type of work or lack of work, or something completely different?

TBH all of the above and driving prices down to below liveable

My area there are 5 plumbers just up the road from me and too many within 1 mile

Plus most builders will try there hand at plumbing or electrical these days even gas

Same with kitchen fitters

Honestly the bottoms dropped out 10-15 years ago yes was a great trade to get into

Then the 6 week courses can around and all the collages started stating become a plumber / gas fitter earn 40k + - there training fee ;)

And then the economy fell and some people lost there jobs and they saw the appeal

But it was all bollox

Your best option is to look how many trades are in your area more than 5 in one mile or 10 in 10 mile and not worth it unless your planning on traveling for work

And then your costs / charges will be low just covering your wages

Hope it all makes sense typing off a phone isn't the best

Or a handyman

Good advice from Shaun and RPM , and for what its worth I would say the same , everybody wants to get into gas and it is generally forcing prices down .
Good tilers are rocking horse , plenty plasterers and sparkies available.
On another note my brother in law was ex army , never even spoke to me to get my opinion , got all his quals , got a job and lasted about 2/3 years , ended up in Tescos , he thought plumbing was easy !!!

Only people making money in this game are the ones that work for the Boiler manufactures doing warranty work, I live about 15 miles from Plymouth, rates are poor due to being around 600 plumbers/ gas fitters and the collages keep turning out more, Please don't believe all the crap about being a shortage of plumbers, the amount I see from week to week , new van, tools iPod's web pages etc. within 6mths or less they have gone, cant make it pay & most live home with mummy so no overheads this trade has been in decline for at least 20 years earnings are lower compared to back then, & rules & regulations are a pain in the backside, Good job to get into but don't expect to stay in full time employment for long periods

Only people making money in this game are the ones that work for the Boiler manufactures doing warranty work, I live about 15 miles from Plymouth, rates are poor due to being around 600 plumbers/ gas fitters and the collages keep turning out more, Please don't believe all the crap about being a shortage of plumbers, the amount I see from week to week , new van, tools iPod's web pages etc. within 6mths or less they have gone, cant make it pay & most live home with mummy so no overheads this trade has been in decline for at least 20 years earnings are lower compared to back then, & rules & regulations are a pain in the backside, Good job to get into but don't expect to stay in full time employment for long periods
Evening, I am not about to say that earning money in this trade is easy. It clearly is not!! However, I also decided to take up this career after spending over 6 years defending our beautiful, Unique and well loved country. I also decided to do a fast track course. Not a crappy 4 week one but one that took 9 months to complete and where you had to build an exceptionally big portfolio, and before anyone gets on my back. Yes I understand that this is not as good as a 4 year apprenticeship and I will never pretend that it is. However by the time most of us leave the forces we already have a family to look after and cannot spare the time or loss of money to take the 4 year path. My advice to you would be this. If you do decide to use your resettlement to become an heating engineer. Then please keep your eyes and ears open and take all the advise that people are willing to give to you. It is absolute dog eat dog trade. I would work for a company for at least 4/5 years to begin with just to build up your knowledge base as there is a massive world of problems and appliances out there and also be prepared to work twice as hard as the 4 year apprenticeship lads just to prove your worth. It is exceptionally hard work but if you are a good engineer. People will see this and eventually it will pay off. It has taken me 10 years to get to a decent position where we are very comfortable and are always busy at work.
The correct paths in life are normally the hardest ones to take.
Right that's enough from me. Rant over. Sorry everyone:D:D:D

Mark, I'm an Ex - Bootneck. there is work out here. It all takes time as with anything. After years in the wilderness I realised I needed a skill and hey presto! So get the resettlement bods to get enough cash to put you through A Gas Safe Registered course. IMO it is wholly wrong for someone to advise you to reconsider for another trade. as Harvest says it takes time. You will always have money with a skill mate.

Mark, I'm an Ex - Bootneck. there is work out here. It all takes time as with anything. After years in the wilderness I realised I needed a skill and hey presto! So get the resettlement bods to get enough cash to put you through A Gas Safe Registered course. IMO it is wholly wrong for someone to advise you to reconsider for another trade. as Harvest says it takes time. You will always have money with a skill mate.
You just have to soldier on and have a massive amount of grit. Which anyone that has done longer then their standard 4 years will definitely have. Well worth it in the end. There will be some testing times but if you can get through them you will be fine.

Hi all,

I'm currently in the RAF and i'm getting out with the intention of a career change.
I'm looking at Plumbing/heating engineer.

I'm on this site looking for any tips or helpful info that can get me heading in the right direction. Such as, what are the best courses to do, what qualifications are essential starting in the plumbing/heating world. We have resettlement packages available to us but reading in other places a lot of people have said be aware as you think you are getting the correct qual's but it may not be the case.

Also are there any ex military on here that have done this in the last few years.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Mark
You just have to soldier on and have a massive amount of grit. Which anyone that has done longer then their standard 4 years will definitely have. Well worth it in the end. There will be some testing times but if you can get through them you will be fine.

Hi Mark, my reply might not help but here goes. I served 39 years in the Army (16 -55) retired in 2013. During my last 6 years I completed an adults apprenticeship (4 years) and gained City & Guilds level 2 & 3 but was also able to complete NVQ levels 2 and 3 by working with people for free. I did do gas on my courses but attended A 8 week intensive gas course to become Gas Safe. My advice is go for it with your eyes open but make sure you do at least the level 2 plumbing course ad it will teach you how to solder pipe work and give you an understanding of systems. Not sure where you live but if it is anywhere near Wrexham I am only to glad to help if I can.

Hi Mark, my reply might not help but here goes. I served 39 years in the Army (16 -55) retired in 2013. During my last 6 years I completed an adults apprenticeship (4 years) and gained City & Guilds level 2 & 3 but was also able to complete NVQ levels 2 and 3 by working with people for free. I did do gas on my courses but attended A 8 week intensive gas course to become Gas Safe. My advice is go for it with your eyes open but make sure you do at least the level 2 plumbing course ad it will teach you how to solder pipe work and give you an understanding of systems. Not sure where you live but if it is anywhere near Wrexham I am only to glad to help if I can.

Where in Wrexham if you don't mind ?

Your not a million miles away from me :D

Welcome Mark. My two penneth.

The facts are that there are more people seeking work than there are places available especially in the gas world. If you're on Twitter go find Simon Reddy who's a master plumber and lecturer in plumbing. He's uncovering the myth that there is a skills shortage and will give you chapter and verse...

However, it is my experience that there is a real opening for people who wish to MAINTAIN stuff for people - especially older people. Unfortunately, most plumbers see 'maintenance' as some form of failure so chase installations. For what it's worth, in my first year in Yorkshire (1999) I turned over over ÂŁ100,000 doing just small maintenance jobs. I admit I was doing 20 a day 6 days a week but that number just shows what can be earned and without it being back breaking, having huge debts or dodgy beggars knocking you.

In my opinion, and experience, people are literally desperate for tradespeople to do those 'small jobs' the rest can't be arsed with. Couple a great attitude, top time keeping and professionalism and you'll never look back.

What sets a good business apart is what's termed a USP (unique selling proposition) in your case it could be being simple, reliable and caring...

Happy to help in any way shape or form. Just email me through my profile.

Lile Dave, I don't do so many installs. I find that it can be consuming. By far my area is repair and servicing and I do ok
The work is there, not everyone is proficient doing Breakdowns.

Hi all
I'm trying to gain some work experience and build a Gas portfolio.I'm due to leave the service late next year Dec having served 22 years for Queen and country. I am currently on course to finish my NVQ level 2 in plumbing but finding it increasingly frustrating trying to get the gas experience to start this portfolio what are your experiancys and thoughts on my situation.

If there are any Gas safe registered Engineers in the Lincolnshire area that could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all
I'm trying to gain some work experience and build a Gas portfolio.I'm due to leave the service late next year Dec having served 22 years for Queen and country. I am currently on course to finish my NVQ level 2 in plumbing but finding it increasingly frustrating trying to get the gas experience to start this portfolio what are your experiancys and thoughts on my situation.

If there are any Gas safe registered Engineers in the Lincolnshire area that could help it would be greatly appreciated.
Not my area. Sorry mate. But hang in there and I am sure somebody could help you. Personally I don't have any spare time in a day for myself let alone teaching someone the ropes. Would love to one day though.

Thanks mate I'm not the kind of person to give up easily so will continue on my journey no matter how long it takes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soon to be ex-military in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, my name is Michael and I am 18. I have my level 2 and 3 qualifications in plumbing and I also have a full driving licence I cant find an apprenticeship. I'm based near Tadcaster, North Yorkshire (between Leeds and York). Does anyone know anybody that might want to take me on as an...
Replies
Views
Hey there I'm looking for some advice on a potential issue I'm having with an old back boiler. So just moved into my parents' old house with my partner, it's a terrace with back to back chimneys in the kitchen and the sitting room. The fireplace in the kitchen is the old back boiler that hasn't...
Replies
Views
Hi there, looking to gain experience as a plumber's mate in London/Essex area, full driving licence. Looking for a step into domestic plumbing. looking for a change in my career and get into the the domestic plumbing world. I have 6 years experience working with commercial boilers, with skills...
Replies
Views
Hi All I'm planning on replacing a couple of rads soon as they are far too small for the size of the room causing the room to take an age to heat up but they are all connected via what I assume is Hep2O nothing is labled on the pipes that route behind the rad just on the flap behind the rad...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm currently working on a job for a customer. their radiators are not all heating up. in total there is 12 radiators. 4 of these are on 15mm pipework, the rest are on 10mm. its powered by a Grundfos ups3 pump. the boiler is an 18kw heat only boiler. There are two radiators mainly...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock