Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Somewhat off topic regarding outside sprinkler pressure. in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Bogart

Bogart Member

Am getting 1.8 bar at this moment which is much more than I actually reckoned. We are fed from a trio of interconnected water towers the nearest being 100m away. Will ask the water people if they know if we are fed directly or the whole setup is pumped would be interesting to know. So I suppose 20 litres/minute is not too bad. Will look into piping the well water around to the back as it is free!

2. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

I`ve seen 6bar static reduce to 0.6bar dynamic pressure before.
    Seems you want more pressure than flow to reach further.

3. Bogart

Bogart Member

Yes with the water flowing the pressure ie dynamic drops to buggar all nearly. Does not help that the pipework starts at 32mm then down to 25mm then to 15mm.

4. johnduffell

johnduffell Member

High static but low dynamic (with low flow) means a restriction somewhere on the pipework upstream of you and possibly including your neighbours.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. johnduffell

johnduffell Member

@rpm@rpm interesting that you "disagree" with what's just a matter of physics - if there's a high static pressure the flow would be excellent over an unrestricted path.

but if you open the tap and hardly anything comes out and the pressure drops off a cliff, that means something like an almost closed stop tap or some muck blocking it, or a very long narrow pipe, which must be upstream because if it was downstream the pressure would remain high.

6. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

I hear you John however explain this example.
    Customer buys a pump which needs 1.7bar dynamic to operate, they have 6bar static in the room but the pump will not operate.
    I disconnect the pump from the supply in the room and add a dynamic flow tester and see 0.6bar.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. johnduffell

johnduffell Member

Upstream supply has too great a head loss at that flow rate, ie too high resistance