Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Solvent Weld Preparation in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. borisd0

borisd0 New Member

I am altering a bathroom basin waste that involves connecting to a dedicated old upvc solvent weld 32mm pipe.
    I intend that the new work is all solvent weld connected to the existing pipe.
    I read that new pipe & fiitings do not require a cleaner but how do I prepare the old existing pipe for a slovent weld fitting?
    I have not found a shop that sells a cleaner, apart from a cleaner for windows etc.
    Any advice gratefully received.

2. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

No big issues Boris , just make sure the pipe is dry , wipe with a paper towel apply the adhesive all the way round .

We used to use cleaners but dont anymore

3. snowhead

snowhead Well-Known Member

Plumbers merchants sell Solvent cleaner for waste pipe.

Or rough the surface up with wire wool or abrasive strip.
    Or maybe nail varnish remover.

4. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Back in the days We used to rub the pipe with a little sandpaper kinda thing to make the pipe a little rough and then we put solvent glue onto the pipe and pushed the fitting onto it and after few seconds it was dry as hell.

5. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Doing it by the book...
    Clean pipe AND pipe fitting with solvent weld cleaner (must be +18yrs to buy it). This will remove old paint, dirt and grease however be quick about it or the paper towel will be left on the surface. Do not use anything to rough up the surface.
    Apply the solvent weld to both surface`s and insert pipe into fitting and hold for 10 seconds.
    In reality, clean both, apply weld to fitting or pipe, hold then try rotating fitting on pipe, if it moves wait or start again. This is for pressurised pipe fittings.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  6. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Work clean scrape away any paint or drit , i use a Stanley knife blade then clean away the excess with cleaning strip available from all plumbing merchants a mesh type abrasive cloth comes in a pack of 5 strips . cheers kop

7. borisd0

borisd0 New Member

Thanks for all the responses, there is some agreement on how I should proceed.

8. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I haven't used a cleaner for well over 10 years , never had one leak . ( done it now haven't I lol )

9. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Don't skimp on the solvent cement. Plus it smells nice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

esp in a dark hole

11. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber Top Contributor!!

I had it drummed into me to use abrasive, THEN cleaner (it smells like acetone so is probably same as nail varnish remover) using rag NOT paper on both sufaces. Then use the solvent cement on both surfaces. But not too much or you leave obstructions on the inside of the pipe. But not too little or you have leaks.

Don't do what the level one student did at my college. The teacher told them that he couldn't see the sense in cleaner as solvent cement dissolves plastic so it must dissolve most dirt. The student went on to apply it over the emulsion paint on the college kitchen sink waste and teed in for a dishwasher upstand. I can confirm that the cement had stuck well to the paint, but there was a leak between the paint and the pipe. The teacher said it served him right for not keeping an eye on them. But I was the one who had the job of putting it right...

RPM - You think it's better not to rough up the surfaces, or simply not needed?

12. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Not needed Unless it's painted then use some Emory cloth (sandpaper) or a knife and scrape/ sand the paint away then just glue

If you can rotate the fittings only apply glue to either the pipe or fitting, if you can't apply glue to both

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

I would think it wise to use emery paper to ensure you have clean plastic ready for the solvent, but probably not needed if pipe is new, or hasn't been exposed to sunlight.
    Some cleaner, like isopropanol, would do no harm to remove any grease etc off the pipe, as even our hands could leave the pipes dirty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Think I prefer the cleaner in
    I only use a fine grade sanding strip to remove paint for anything else I use the cleaner, the solvent weld cement does what it say`s ie it welds the plastics together that is why different plastics need different glues.