Search the forum,

Discuss solvent cw to copper!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nvq level 3

Went to a leak today its a big property split in to flats. After taking some board out from the cieling etc seen a lovely bodge job. Light grey plastic pipe (28mm ish) looks to be solvent to a female fitting on to 22mm copper, this needs cutting out and replacing but not sure what the plastic pipe is. I have photos but not sure how to upload? Not the easiest thing to describe im affraid.

Thanks.

Bet its polyhawk fittings can be purchased that look like leadlocs for conversion..brum

Is that a compression fitting and what sort of insert would be needed? That's if one is needed. Thanks all

Have done a bit of this myself

as emintrude said a philmac fitting will do it but I have been To three that have blown off
if you use one make the transition point nice and soild with brackets and clips

beware as it gets old it gets proper brittle

light grey is normally Abs made by dura pipe and GF
darker grey is PVC made by dura pipe and GF and lake land

you need to watch out for pipe size as there is metric and imperial in both

glue time is 24 hours from putting fitting togather

with the pipe you need to adear to the manufacturer instruction no cheating on cleaning and prep work

I would measure the pipe try to find identification on pipe of maker and size and class if possible

glues are diffrent for Pvc and abs so identification is important

I would go for a fitting that will give you a male thread for the transition to copper using a compression female iron

try not to use a female thread plastic fitting as there very easy to cross tread

just some one of the hard learnt lesson that I would like to pass on

here in Cornwall when we come across plastic pipe like this we have to travle to plymouth to get parts

pipe suppliers kingsbridge side of plymouth manager very helpful really know is stuff with the plastic

identification of pipe is most important.
24hours is a long time to have water off and get it wrong

all the best swift

nice answer swift, personally I wouldnt use anything without a liner, I like the brass comp converters you can get with inserts, not cheap but work ok and dont slip off later on

I know plasson is good gear
but I like the glue up job feels a bit more permanent those transition couples in my tiny mind feel a bit of a temporary fix
just my thoughts

Always thought it was poly hawk not poly York lost in translation hey never fitted it originally but have done water meter fits on it using leadloc like fittings..brum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to solvent cw to copper!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock