Search the forum,

Discuss Soldering painted copper in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

finchy01

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all, this is my first post here about my 1st job! I'm soon to be replacing a bathroom bit by bit starting the furthest appliance away and working my way back to the cistern. To do this I'm having to connect the new pipework to the existing stuff as I go along until it ends up all nice new cooper. My question is this, the existing pipework is all painted. How do I go about soldering the new pipwork to this. I would say that I would just clean of the end of the old pipework from all the paint with some wire wool. But just wanted to check if this is the case or if there is an easier way. (They didn't teach us this at college!) Thanks guys!

make sure you roughly go back on inch and make sure all paint is off

there are a number of ways to do it normally the pipe slice when you cut it takes a the majority of, what i use is cleaning strips or equivalent and my grips round the end . wire wool will work but best to heat it up for a little bit with the torch because wire wool isnt very abrasive

I use paint stripper and kitchen roll. Takes about 3 minutes.

Heat it with a blow lamp then clean with wire wool. No mystery.

all of the above, cant believe you were never told that in college!!
good luck

shaun

You'd be surprised how little they teach on these courses. Plenty of theory and plenty of fitting new stuff and regulations but as to how to undo 25 year old taps, finding stop valves and things like that you're on your own.

yeah i can imagine, its probably a bit like being an apprentice. you learn by your mistakes.

You'd be surprised how little they teach on these courses. Plenty of theory and plenty of fitting new stuff and regulations but as to how to undo 25 year old taps, finding stop valves and things like that you're on your own.

Totally right , never even saw a compact inlet or drop valve untill I left training college.

how on gods green earth are they taking money and saying off you go you are now a plumber and leaving you asking how to solder 2 bits of pipe
do yourself a favour and try and find a plumber to work with until you have gained some experience

i find scraping gloss paint with a stanly knife takes it of in large pieces emoulsiun is harder and i go for the heat and wire woll/cleaning strips method
as everyone has said this is the difference between an apprentice and a fast track plumber knoledge only comes with experience

Regardless if it is a fast track or an apprenticeship you have done common sense tells you that the copper needs to be clean so it makes me wonder if the person who started this thread has had any training at all.

All, thanks for your help. Most of which was very polite, and some, well, I can't blame you for my stupidness! MTB, yes, I have completed an 8 week intensive course, had a month working with someone and now started my Level 3. Newbie, I would love to work with a Plumber to gain some experiance, I was working with a really nice small family business but the work dried up, so I had to go! I don't need a stack of money at the end of each week, experiance from someone well established is priceless!!
I'm just really nervous as I'm starting out on my own (not through choice, we all got to eat!) So please excuse me for the stupid question, but it won't be the last!!! That reminds me....... :eek:

Last edited:
flinchy's question was clearly a fast track question. he has shown his ability in not plodding on regardless, and when unsure "ask", he clearly showed through his common sense that he knew the paint had to be got rid off, and asked us for the easiest best way to do that.
i reckon thats a decent question, regardless of who posted it!!
when you were an apprentice and your soldered joints failed because you forgot to flux them did you not ask why, and how to do it better next time?

i'm not a fast tracker fan by the way, but the bloke certainly wants to learn and has showed the skills necessary to accept he dosnt know something, ask advice, and possesses common sense.
i knew it all when i was training, probably the reason it has taken me this long to get where i am.

I was talking to a BOC welding instructor, at an agricultural show once, and he said how hard it was to use solder fittings, I said that you have to clean both fitting and tube first, then sparingly apply the flux
He nearly had a fit there and then saying what a fool he had been, he had forgotten all about using a flux

When I saw this thread a few days ago,did not think silly question,saw few replys all ok,thought end of it but some how turned into a dig about fast track plumbers and people asking questions ,others think foolish,have seen long term trainee plumbers try soldering without flux,perfect pipework with black burn marks around each fitting,blobs of solder on floor,have seen fittings placed on painted pipework and tried to solder
All to often now as soon as someone asks a question,people dive in.and have a go,what happens is people stop asking and struggle on,I have seen experianced tradesmen do the strangest things all because they are afraid to bring into question their street cred by asking a question
For what it is worth finchy,I think your question was quite reasonable as did the members who spent their time answering it and am sure should you have other questions,you will find many helpful answers

Last edited by a moderator:
Very wise and thoughtfull reply Puddle, I am so glad we have people on here who are able to articulate a meaningful, experienced response.

I used to have a really neat wire brush tool for 1/2 & 3/4 copper pipe something like a deburrer .. stick it on the pipe and twist like mad and out comes a nice shiny end .. clean it up with emery and bob's yer uncle .. problem is I can't remember where the hell I sto ... er purchased the item :D:D

anybody seen/remember anything like it??

Nowt wrong with the question at all. I personally use the abrasive strips all the time as I hate wire wool. If you want consistantly good solder joints preperation is the answer. And always check your flux is clean with no grit in it. So clean & clean is the solution, I for one hate painted pipes but if that what the customer likes so be it. Put a damp cloth on your pipe by the paint also to prevent damage to paint further along the pipe.

This is also useful if you are new to soldering and may apply a bit to much heat and you have nearby solders joints to prevent from ruining them.

Liking the paint stripper idea.
If you heat the pipe and use grips around the wool be careful not to deform the soft copper.

Hi. I use the back of a junior blade still in frame works for me, plus a bit of glass paper or wire wool. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soldering painted copper in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock