Search the forum,

Discuss Soldering fixings to the side of pipes without t's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me what the name is for the process of soldering fittings to the wall of a pipe is like in the pic below? I remember seeing a video of someone making the holes for the fitting but can’t find it anymore and need to make a fitting like in the picture.
Many thanks

28pipe1.JPG

In the video there was some tool that punched the hole and pulled a lip for the fitting, any idea on what the tool is called please?

Note they make them for uk tube / metric as well

I don’t think I like the look of that! Doesn’t have a lot of mating surface area!

The tool is called a 'Branch Puller'.
There's a mechanical one called 'T-Drill'
Check that out - I used one for 15 years.
Almost redundant now due to press fittings, but still use it on occasions.

The tool is called a 'Branch Puller'.
There's a mechanical one called 'T-Drill'
Check that out - I used one for 15 years.
Almost redundant now due to press fittings, but still use it on occasions.

Do you braze the pipes together or solder? What kind of pressure are these joints rated to?

Obviously brazed would be stronger but it says it can be soldered so was just curious as to the strength

Do you braze the pipes together or solder? What kind of pressure are these joints rated to?
We use silver solder over here. ( melts at @ 700 C )
The joints have never had a problem.
I had concerns originally about the strength of the joint so I tested a few.
The copper will break before the soldered joint breaks.
As for the pressure rating of the joints, we have had in the past cold water pressures of up to 1500 kPa ( 15 Bar ), now we are required to reduce it to 500 kPa, to meet requirements of tapware and associated fittings.
Fire Services are at mains pressure and have used these branch pulled branches on fire services - up to 40mm branches.
eg: 100mm copper with 40mm branch.

Never had a problem once the joint soldered and tested.

We use silver solder over here. ( melts at @ 700 C )
The joints have never had a problem.
I had concerns originally about the strength of the joint so I tested a few.
The copper will break before the soldered joint breaks.

Then it's way over-engineered (not a bad thing mind) but at 700C you're nearer to the melting point of copper than I'd like to be. How the hell do you not burn the house down when you're brazing near to combustibles?

Then it's way over-engineered (not a bad thing mind) but at 700C you're nearer to the melting point of copper than I'd like to be. How the hell do you not burn the house down when you're brazing near to combustibles?

The ac guys do the same guess it's the same as us but with a bigger flame

We use oxy & acetylene or oxy & LPG.
Turbo torches & Mapp gas can do the job on smaller pipe.
As for the melting point of copper, you get used to controlling the flame.
Does get a little tricky when soldering onto a brass fitting, you just have to concentrate the heat on the brass fitting.

As for burning houses down, the flame is a lot smaller and manageable. But you still have to be careful!!!

Most things are press fit now, so generally only silver solder if absolutely necessary.
Still have to silver solder refrigeration piping when it need joining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soldering fixings to the side of pipes without t's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock