Search the forum,

Discuss Solderd fitting looks crack on front in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi do you do sometimes find even though your sure the solder has run around a fitting the ring you see at the front lip of the fitting and the pipe can occasionally look cracked on one place?

a black spot/line ? normally down to what flux you use/ impurities

IMG_20160407_161226.jpg[

looks like the heat has been held on the left fitting too long drawing the solder down.
am i to presume you soldered that end last?

nah, never had a joint leak yet that i soldered and that includes ones like in pic.
as long as its fluxed 100% and enough solder its done.

Thanks so even with the little gap were it appears to be missing solder between the pipe and the fitting it should be ok as it will have run lower down in the fitting?

try a bit less heat, use a propane bottle if you are using mixed gas bottle for a while.

Ive had this a few times, and have never had a leak from a fitting that looks like this, I just count it as one of my fittings I'm not happy with and usually check it first upon filling the system

Ive had this a few times, and have never had a leak from a fitting that looks like this, I just count it as one of my fittings I'm not happy with and usually check it first upon filling the system
And is it from too much heat?

prolonged heat more so, when melts, take torch off for few secs then reapply for next end heat pipe then take off again

you could do or just re flow the solder would be fine

Solder a sample joint and saw down it longways.. You will be reassured by the width of the band of solder in the joint.

And is it from too much heat?

Sometimes yes sometimes I think its dirty flux or dirt fitting on the edge, usually ill dab some extra solder on but sometimes it's still there afterwards although the rest of the fitting is perfect

Sometimes yes sometimes I think its dirty flux or dirt fitting on the edge, usually ill dab some extra solder on but sometimes it's still there afterwards although the rest of the fitting is perfect
So fittings like this are usually ok?

So fittings like this are usually ok?

I see joints like this a lot at the college I work in. It happens most often with the sockets that are formed in the end of the pipe with an expanding/socket forming tool. It seems that these expanded fittings are a little bit "slacker" than a quality EF fitting. (We mainly use this type of joint when teaching the school kids who come in for a short plumbing course how to solder, to save on fittings).

They often have this little gap in the solder at the mouth just like in your picture. I have pressure tested thousands of these and they seem as reliable as any other joint as long as there is enough solder to fill the joint to the bottom.

I have seen the same with cheaper EF fittings that are a bit slacker than a better UK made one. I think it can happen even with quality fittings that are just a tiny bit out of spec.

Last edited:
I have had this, and have taken the fitting apart to check, most of the time it is fine. If I ever had a soldered leak, it is probably one that looks perfect.

There can be different reasons for solder not taking to one side of a fitting.
One reason can be dirt, as has been said, but you shouldn't really have dirt with end feed fittings, like Yorkshire have, coming often from around the solder ring area. I clean my end feed fittings with steel wool, so they have no dirt.
Another reason can be overheating and/or burning the flux away and tarnishing the copper so solder won't stick. Solution is to not overheat if possible and also apply flux dabbed on end of solder as you do the joint. (If you do want the resolder a tarnished bit, clean it with emery cloth and apply flux to redo)
Stigster got my last reason, - if a pipe is held slightly out of line with a fitting, the the solder will not have good capillary action at the widest point at bottom of joint. This is why I am sceptical about clipping pipes to walls that can be all shapes. Also tends to happen with slack fittings that some cheaper brands are.
If you are doubtful about a joint, heat it gently and pull it apart to look at how well both surfaces are soldered

Last edited:
Whenever in doubt just a touch more flux, bit more heat and a little more solder. Ten seconds there could save hours down the line. 99.9% I find there's never an issue, but every now and again I convince myself it wasn't right and just touch it up for piece of mind.

It is the solder inside the fitting and if it has joined to both the pipe and fitting that matters.
If the joint sucks solder in a little on one side, I don't worry always about it, although I do prefer to have the outside edge fully soldered as belt and braces

Basic procedure... make sure the pipe and fitting is clean before soldering, don't rely on self cleaning flux. Even heat around the fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Solderd fitting looks crack on front in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I noticed when I was cleaning the toilet the other day that there are some large cracks just under the rim jet area of my toilet bowl. The toilet itself is old, I've not noticed it before, but I dont usually go looking inside the toilet much, just pop some bleach up there etc. The...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Have got an old 60/70s PVC soil stack, the Toilet is going into a Hunter branded socket which has an old O-ring design (quite flat with 3 or 4 ribs on it). It's painted in a fetching pink/purple colour in the photo. Tried to revive it with some grease before inserting a short length of...
Replies
Views
Our boiler is in the loft and I encountered a leak in a roof above our side extension store room which has transpired to be from the boiler condensate pipe. It was cracked at an elbow so the plumber we use has replaced this and hopefully all will be well with that joint. This later prompted me...
Replies
Views
Trying to connect up new 40mm waste into the old soil stack (which would be an absolute pain to remove), it's all Osma pipe, from the 70s. Pulled out the old waste from the boss and discovered the seal is pretty knackered, hardened and cracked everywhere (red coloured seal in the photo)...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have two hairline cracks around shower tray plug waste hole. Is this a concern ? I.e let water in etc through crack ? And any fixes or do I need a new tray? I also have suspicions that the tray was fitted without a cement or mortar bed underneath to support the tray and this is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock