Search the forum,

Discuss Solder tips? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi folks.

I'll apologise now for this silly question.

I'm currently doing a job that involves soldering up to 54mm pipe. Previously only done up to 35mm.
I'm struggling to solder the vertical pipes so my question is whether it's advisable to crimp the fitting to keep the pipe in place?

Or is it feasible to solder the vertical pipe into the fitting first then solder the horizontal bits?

I'm struggling cos it's 3.5metres in the air so wedging it isn't really an option.

Go easy with me.

you having problems with what the fittings moving or soldering that big?

Soldering is fine I think lol. The pipes moving or dropping out

Soldering is fine I think lol. The pipes moving or dropping out

put fitting in and get your grips with pipe all the way in and where you want and squash it a tiny bit

Or put the pipe in the fitting, dent the fitting with hammer/spanner/grips and twist the.pipe so it will hold in place. Keep a rag handy when soldering and feed the.solder all the way around the fitting following the lamp.

put fitting in and get your grips with pipe all the way in and where you want and squash it a tiny bit

Squashing 54mm isn't so easy for me lol.

That's why I wondered about soldering the fitting onto the vertical then soldering the horizontal pipes in situ?

What is that flexible support tool that clamps to a surface then grabs the pipe?

You need to solder the whole fitting at once not one half and then the other.
Use a bigger lamp ( wider flame ) and warm it uniformly Starting with the pipe, so it expands slightly to tighten it up in the fitting.
I would personally not squash it because you will create uneven gaps around the joint and the solder won't flow into them enough to fill them.

Last edited:
The other plumber on site suggested soldering out of situ first but I've never done that on normal domestic pipework let alone this bigger stuff. I assume it weakens the joint once it's re heated.

What is that flexible support tool that clamps to a surface then grabs the pipe?

two clips a piece of uni strut and done

If your not confident , or struggling. Go to your local BSS and hire a press tool and jaws. Trust me once you gave used one on larger pipe sizes, you won't solder again.

or where you located?

Is the pipe not clipped when you are soldering it?

Yes it the horizontal run is clipped then the vertical pipe isn't supported. The spec of the job doesn't allow for press fit unfortunately.

Why don't you put 4 tack solders on the pipe?

Work you way from tack 1 to tack 2, then tack 3 to tack 4, tack 2 to tack 3 and then tack 4 to tack 1.
This way the pipe is held in position and with a pipe of 54mm the solder is set on the opposite side of the pipe you are soldering.

We did this in plant rooms when doing pipework because we would tack everything square and level / plumb, and then solder the joints completely as we proceeded.
The tacks just held everything in place

Cut a piece of 3 x 2 timber to fit underneath it once it is in the fitting

Sorted it lads. Ended up cutting a Piece of 15mm to length instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Solder tips? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock