Search the forum,

Discuss Solder ring fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it odd that corrosive fluxes can be used on gas runs, apparently.

Exactly! And gas pipes won't have water running through to clean away the flux. Common sense seems to be rarely used.
I know Everflux was not allowed on some jobs

I somehow use everflux. I was thinking it does a good job. But, as mentioned I will try fluxite perhaps it will be great then I will change my flux :)

It is the corrosive nature of Everflux that I worry about.
The Fluxite is an old, well proven flux.
Note Ron that Fluxite, or similar grease based fluxes, can apparently burn easier at higher temperatures often needed for soldering lead free. Although I have used it and find it okay, unless madly overheating a fitting.

It is the corrosive nature of Everflux that I worry about.
The Fluxite is an old, well proven flux.
Note Ron that Fluxite, or similar grease based fluxes, can apparently burn easier at higher temperatures often needed for soldering lead free. Although I have used it and find it okay, unless madly overheating a fitting.
So you are saying when using the fluxite it's better to not use as much heat as i am more likely to burn the flux? I still will give it a go perhaps I will like it. I am going to order soon from Germany as I really think they are very good.

So you are saying when using the fluxite it's better to not use as much heat as i am more likely to burn the flux? I still will give it a go perhaps I will like it. I am going to order soon from Germany as I really think they are very good.

Just saying to expect the flux to burn if you overdo the heat.
But I find Fluxite will not burn if you solder properly.
That German flux paste I must read about if I can find details in English

Can't see the bit about lack of zinc chloride. What is it made from? Is this a less poisonous flux? Why do YOU like it so much? You've got my interest...

It has a nice tin: I like the flux brush holder!

If you fancy a swap of a sample of Fluxite for a sample of the German one by post, PM me.

Just saying to expect the flux to burn if you overdo the heat.
But I find Fluxite will not burn if you solder properly.
That German flux paste I must read about if I can find details in English

It's known as 'solder paint' in this country, Fryolux is the main brand. A paste of zinc chloride and solder powder. There is a lead free version. It's more common in engineering workshops that in use by plumbers. Probably because it's rather expensive and zinc chloride is pretty corrosive so fumes and spitting are an issue.

Hang on. Matchless tells us it doesn't have zinc chloride, Chuck says it does.

Fluxite and Yorkshire contain 10-15% zinc chloride, Everflux over 4%, LaCo doesn't seem to have any.

Actually, what I meant to say is 'solder paste', which is a mix of powdered solder and flux, is usually known as 'solder paint' in the UK and I also gave an example of the brand I'm most familiar with, which does contain zinc chloride. I don't what type of flux is in Matchless's stuff, I've never seen his brand in this country.

Last edited:

Fluxite and Yorkshire contain 10-15% zinc chloride, Everflux over 4%, LaCo doesn't seem to have any.
It does not have any zinc chloride, it's free of zinc chloride.

Oh, I see. You flux up with it and then heat and the solder is already in the flux.

Like the reverse of resin-core solder as used in electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Solder ring fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock