Search the forum,

Discuss Solar Thermal And Combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wayne Campbell

I have a Worcester Greenstar 40 HE combi and want to fit solar thermal, The only way I can see is using a Solar combi diverter valve with a pre heat tank. Does anyone have any other ideas on this?

Thanks

Check with Worcester that their boiler is solar compatible, not all are.

I did the solar thermal course at Worcesters and was told their boilers are not compatible ie water entering the boiler @ say 30 degrees is not within the paramiters of what the boiler is used to dealing with.

Unless the water can totally bypass the boiler it will not be compatible.

As said before, install a storage cylinder otherwise the cost of installation would struggle to pay for its self. I have 300 ltr cylind and 2 flat panels, both Worcester products and they work great.

Fit an unvented solar cylinder and use the worcester as a system boiler. Perhaps feed the kitchen from the combi.

It's only 100ltr storage not enough in my opinion
I like tubes far better than flat panels

Me to, but beggars (combi owners) can't be choosers !!
Take away the standing losses of a standard size indirect storage cylinder & its not a bad option IMHO.

My first choice was tubes but my house is about 25 mtrs from the beach, I need to clean the panels quite often as they get covered in salt ect. I thought the flat panels would be easier to clean.

My first choice was tubes but my house is about 25 mtrs from the beach, I need to clean the panels quite often as they get covered in salt ect. I thought the flat panels would be easier to clean.

I always advise tubes near the sea and at high altitudes because both locations might be fine in summer but can be very cold in winter, flat panels tend to lose a lot of heat and as they are not sealed or double glazed IMHO they are likely to be using any heat gained to warm the panel instead of the raising the temperature and sending the heat to the cylinder.

I also advise Kingspan Thermomax tubes for the above locations as they are possibly one of the only ones that is really a vacuum tube.

My personal favorite from a performance point of view are Ritter, smaller, neater easier to install and the frame used makes the roof mounting a lot more solid / secure than Thermomax.

That said they use a "Sydney Tube" which is not a complete vacuum like the Thermomax system, my wish list would have the the Thermomax tube on a Ritter system the results from such a system would be amazing considering we can get the same performance from 18 Ritter tubes that we get from 30 Thermomax (both U tube not heat pipe).

Ecotube are without doubt the most efficient tubes over 850 kw per sq meter per year, easy to clean due to large diameter and youll also need less of them. Having said that I'd still go for sonnenkraft flat plates

Cheap Chinese, doesn't matter which, nice, simple and cost effective. Know a bloke who sells a lot of solar and he has had so many issues with thermomax. Stagnation is the biggest issue. I've fitted about 10 differant makes of tubes and panels and you honestly can go wrong with a cheap Chinese kit

I have fitted about 30 sets of thermomax
And never been back to a single one
And you like cheap chinese crap lol

Cheap Chinese, doesn't matter which, nice, simple and cost effective. Know a bloke who sells a lot of solar and he has had so many issues with thermomax. Stagnation is the biggest issue. I've fitted about 10 differant makes of tubes and panels and you honestly can go wrong with a cheap Chinese kit

Stagnation is caused by sizing the system wrong.

If you are used to installing cheap Chinese systems then it's no wonder you are having problems, also you are not up to date with the Kingspan Thermomax heat pipe system it has a snap disc which stops the heat pipe sending heat to the manifold at 95c so no chance of stagnation even if you grossly over size the system.

I wonder why is China becoming the biggest export market for Thermomax?

Stagnation is caused by sizing the system wrong.

If you are used to installing cheap Chinese systems then it's no wonder you are having problems, also you are not up to date with the Kingspan Thermomax heat pipe system it has a snap disc which stops the heat pipe sending heat to the manifold at 95c so no chance of stagnation even if you grossly over size the system.

I wonder why is China becoming the biggest export market for Thermomax?

Because they don't fit the crap they make just sell it to some people lol

Im fully aware how to size systems I'm also fully aware of the thermomax kit after having to go back to others systems to try and stop stagnation, theses were specced by kingspan!! Wouldn't trust their spec as far as ill throw it. I've got a few suppliers who won't deal with kingspan as they've had a lot of issues, hence ill,stick with the cheap crap that does the same job for half the cost

And what was the problem with the thermomax ones you had to go back to
Be nice to know as I have never had any problems with any yet

Im fully aware how to size systems I'm also fully aware of the thermomax kit after having to go back to others systems to try and stop stagnation, theses were specced by kingspan!! Wouldn't trust their spec as far as ill throw it. I've got a few suppliers who won't deal with kingspan as they've had a lot of issues, hence ill,stick with the cheap crap that does the same job for half the cost

We are referring to a company that manufactures four different types of vacuum tube it would be nice to know which ones you are referring to, in my experience they are too conservative in their specifications but that could be down to a different rep doing the surveys.

On the other side I have people who are very annoyed at Chinese systems that have 60 tubes serving a 300 litre cylinder and never see the temperature rise above 35c.

All Chinese systems are not that bad however the better quality systems tend to be priced very close to the Thermomax products.

I agree it would nice to see some stability in the Thermomax pricing considering I can buy direct from the factory but at times find my competitors retail prices cheaper than my factory prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Solar Thermal And Combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning, Does anybody know what happens to a solar thermal flat panels (a pair on south facing slate roof) that have been unused for at least 12 months possibly year before also. System has been switched of due to loss of pressure. How will last years heat wave conditions have effected the panel...
Replies
Views
Hello My solar thermal system appears to be leaking fluid (pics attached). Could anyone give me an indication of what the issue is likely to be and the potential cost to rectify? The system was installed in May 2021 and has a flat plate panel on the roof. It works very well generally and...
Replies
Views
Hi, Solar thermal not so big these days but a couple of Q for anyone who still works in it. Background. I'm an Electrician not a plumber.. I've been maintaining my otherwise excellent solar thermal (Original install MCS by Others), for the last ~ 18 years, over which time I've needed to clean...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 300L unvented indirect cylinder to work with a standard heat only boiler. I may have solar panels in the future, but likely the PV kind rather than the thermal kind, and won't be having heat pump in the future. So the cylinder would be connected to the boiler at...
Replies
Views
Hello, So I want to add a solar thermal system to my existing Worcester bosch greenstar but don't want to lose the functional benefits of the combi boiler. I'm proposing to install the solar collector on the side of the house in a position that will enable gravity flow to a 200litre tank just...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock