Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Solar pumping station in the Renewable Energy area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Paulb2337

Paulb2337 New Member

Seen this a couple of times any idea what causes it.

20170419_092118.jpg

20170419_092104.jpg

2. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Is there HTF in the system ? Where are you based ?

3. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

I've see few it times too. Its definitely glycol ( never seen it on any other heat transfer fluid) mixture which has leaked. The antifreeze fluids degrade over time therefore it should be changed every 3-5 years. I guess the ratio was 60/40 but not too sure though.

But good question of @townfanjon@townfanjon regarding the HTF

4. snowhead

snowhead Well-Known Member

Looks like 2 plain and simple leaks on joints.

5. Paulb2337

Paulb2337 New Member

6. Paulb2337

Paulb2337 New Member

Don't know if HTF in system, asked to look at problem and refill but not willing to increase pressure with this problem. I am based in Gosport Hands.

7. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

If its a professionaly installed system I am sure it will , but knowing hardwater areas seem to be prone to crud it makes me wonder !! Pressure looks too low anyway so its going to need attention soon.

8. Paulb2337

Paulb2337 New Member

Yes definitely HTF in system checked it.recommended to change pumping station, repressurise system and book in for service next year.

Thanks for your help

9. Worcester

Worcester Plumber

We see it all the time, def leaking glycol, not necessarily a problem, and pump station could be fine - especially at the cost of replacement.
    Not seen one quite that bad though.
    Could be a simple case of stripping apart and re-doing the joints with proper joint sealant rather than jet blue / boss white which aren't rated for the temperature that solar systems get to.
    Definitely should be drained, flushed and replenished with new glycol, purge and re-pressurised. - Als0 check the PRV and expansion vessel - they are often installed incorrectly - about 75% of system that aren't ours that we go to fix are not installed in accordance with the standards - and none of them have ever been serviced!

10. Paulb2337

Paulb2337 New Member

Thanks for that, what jointing compound do you recommend

11. Worcester

Worcester Plumber