Search the forum,

Discuss Solar panels and tank. Install tank first then panels ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

edwardk

Hi - I have installed the first fix for the central heating and hot/cold water in my house (and pressure tested).
At the moment I have tails of copper pipe sticking out of walls and so on.

I have a 300 litre heat store with two coils in a side shed.

One coil links to an 18kw electric heater (local load shedding system promoted by the local power station) and the other coil will link to a solar panel (hopefully a kingspan/thermomax 30 tube 3m panel HP200).

The tank is sitting in the side shed unconnected.

I've been doing most of the rennovation work myself but was after some advice on getting the tank connected.

I was going to ask a plumber to connect and test it and probably a different crew to install the solar panels.

Question : Should I get the main tank hooked up before the solar panels ?

I guess solar panels don't like sitting around unused and also the installers would need to test the panels etc.
Thanks
Ed

Hi Edward,

Good choice on the Thermomax HP200's. 30 tubes is bang on for a 300 litre cylinder as the rule of thumb is 10 per 100 litres of storage.

Thermomax tubes can be rotated away from the sun to protect them if it's going to be a while before commissioning.

I'd get your plumber to stick the the cylinder in and pipe up the heating side and an MCS firm to do the solar. The success of the solar is in the set up - the flushing and filling etc. The panel can be air pressure tested easy enough before completing the rest of the loop.

Also, if the renewable heat incentive comes in next year then the paperwork from an MCS firm could earn you money.

Matt

Thermomax tubes should not be put on till it's all installed to cylinder

In the uk out of interest what would be the rough cost of having the panels installed on a roof and piped to controls and an existing heat store ?

In the uk out of interest what would be the rough cost of having the panels installed on a roof and piped to controls and an existing heat store ?

I would charge for fitting only
Aprox £450

Thanks for the info - I have the tank plumbed in (but not filled/connected to mains water yet) and the electrics should be finished on Monday... so getting there!

The SP installation quotes I have over here are high then ! Think I will be installing it myself. I think that the HP200 is about £1700 ? (anyone got any good sources where I could buy one ?)
Then tower/scaffolding/roofer for slate work should come in at maybe £300 tops and plumber at £450/£500 tops - should be about £2500 or there abouts ..... so far have quotes at £3400 and £4800.... WOW !

I have ducting open and accessible inside and the run would be about 16 metres plus a metre of play either end to give about 18m.

I think that for runs over 10m it is recommended to use 10mm microbore ?

With the HP200 SP should I use copper 10mm microbore with solder or compression fittings ?

Is this the right approach if I were to do it myself:
Buy the HP200 with the DIY kit (everything you need to install yourself as a 'competent' DIYer...ehem...)
Fit to roof
Run 10mm microbore with High Temp insulation down through house to side shed.
Connect microbore to panel and to solar pump in shed and connect to heat store secondary coil.

Well I know that's very general and the panel will come with instructions (in the DIY kit am hoping).

Any thoughts ?
Ed

Hi - been occupied with other things but back on this now.

Anyone know of the cheapest / best place to get a 3metre HP200 with a DIY fixing kit.

Is it possible to sell on the DIY fixing kit after installation ?

Thanks,
Ed

Cheapest I've found is £1865 for panel plus kits:

Tubes 30
TMAX HP200 Tubes
Manifold TMAX HP200-3m2 Manifold
Sloping Roof Kit TMAX Sloping Roof Kit V
Connection Kit TMAX Connection Kit
Antifreeze Anti freeze: Tyfocor LS - 20 litres
Pump Station Dual Stream Pump
Controller Steca 402 Controller
Expansion Vessel 18L Expansion Vessel
Connection Hose 15mm Corrugated Hose x 2
( [DLMURL="http://www.solarsavings.co.uk/product/Thermomax_HP200_Heatpipe_30_tube_Pack_KSHP30"]Kingspan Solar Thermomax Heatpipe Collector HP200[/DLMURL] )

Plus about £150 shipping

This comes in at £2015.

Is this a reasonable price for self fitting ?

Am I missing any kits off that ? I keep seeing ' filling station kit' do I need this ?

Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Solar panels and tank. Install tank first then panels ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock