Search the forum,

Discuss Soil Pipe Connector Query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
In order to replace a very old low level toilet with a back to wall toilet I need to replace a P connector with a Swan neck for an exact fit.

The existing P connector is fitted into a vertical soil Pipe. The soil pipe appears to be clay with a waxy type subsance around the P connector. Will this just pull out (and new push in) or will I need to seal the new Swan connector in the clay pipe in some way?

Any help would be appreciated. Photo of existing join attached.

Attachments

• 20160305_162627.jpg
    20160305_162627.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 61
It should pull out with a little bit of wobbling,but if they used the black washer on the end that might come off and cause an obstruction, I always use a bolster to get rid of the ugly collar,but remove the pan connector first.
the pic doesn't show where the wc pan is situated,just thinking maybe you could use a flexible pan connector, the pan connector will just push into the soil,post another pic please showing it from a different angle.

Don't use a flexi, a Swan neck pan connector will do this fine, remove the old and any old sealant, fit the new pan connector and then fill the collar with either plumbers mate or silicone to ensure a good seal

Thank you both. Great tips.

Worth hack-sawing the old connector to then grab all from below internally? Could then ensure any washers you mention cannot fall in.

Would a new connector fit inside the old? Could leave a couple of inches of the old and fit new inside perhaps?.

Regarding plumbers mate. The old wax/putty is around 10mm width all of the way around? Can it be used with this much?

And lastly, excuse my ignorance. So the clay pipe is a collar and not the actual soil pipe?

Thanks for your help.

I wouldn't advise hitting the collar with a hammer and bolster unless you want to risk cracking the fitting altogether!!

Follow Plumben's advice.

Thats a strange one, the collar is to thin for clay might be cast iron but looks the wrong shape.

Have you tested it with a hack saw blade? Any chance of a side view photo of the collar?

Long & short, if you can cut it off cleanly then a Multikwik connector will push down inside the pipe they do a 3 1/2" if the 4" (100mm) is to big.

As above, if you are not sure leave the collar, push connector right down into pipe & fill collar with white silicone.

Last edited:
Don't waste your time hacksawing the old connector just pull it all out as one, if anything stays behind just reach in and grab it with a black bag over your hand/arm

A new connector would not fit inside the old connector

Plumbers mate comes in a tub and you scoop out as much as you need and roll it into a sausage type shape as long and as thin/thick as you like, just make sure its thick enough So it needs forcing in to make a good seal

And the clay collar is part of the clay pipe (soil pipe)

Thats a strange one, the collar is to thin for clay might be cast iron but looks the wrong shape.

Have you tested it with a hack saw blade? Any chance of a side view photo of the collar?

Long & short, if you can cut it off cleanly then a Multikwik connector will push down inside the pipe they do a 3 1/2" if the 4" (100mm) is to big.

As above, if you are not sure leave the collar, push connector right down into pipe & fill collar with white silicone.

Your right there it looks like cast to me, looks rusty

Thanks all. Really appreciate the support.

Looks like we have a consensus. Remove, install and infill it is .

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soil Pipe Connector Query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock