Search the forum,

Discuss smelly smells from downstairs loo in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted808

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hi there... basically went to a cust's house today and it's an upstairs downstairs little terraced house.
Recently the wc under the stairs has been smelly- very smelly at times, mostly in the morning.
It's the usual little room with a basin and hidden pipework- needless to say no visual signs of leaking, but definitely a smell. Above there's another bathroom and the loo (presumably the bath and basin as well ) connects to the same stack. Unfortunately upstairs has a concealed, and well tiled boxed in loo/ cistern. Soil stack doesn't go all the way into the loft, stops here.

So now my question is, IF there's a aav in this boxing would the smells drift down to the loo below?
Does sewer gas rise or fall or does it just seep out where it can?

I've got cust monitoring trap depth and next step - maybe destroy some tiling to check if aav present and failed.... any other suggestions appreciated.

Thank in advance

• :clap:

Last edited:
Monitoring trap seems the way to go. Remind customer, even with plug in and basin full of water
a failed trap will still allow smell to pass via overflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to smelly smells from downstairs loo in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
Hey all, I'm hoping someone might have some unique ideas for me. The Issue We live in a house built in the 1600s. The plumbing has obviously been added to over time. Occasionally, we get a sewage smell from our kitchen sink (when the dishwasher first runs), our upstairs ensuite sink/show...
Replies
Views
Hello. This is my first ever post asking for help. I had a bathroom renovation done early this year which I did myself. I wanted to have a low level shower tray sitting flush to the ground and was not able to get access to the main vented stack as it's boxed in from the inside of the house and...
Replies
Views
We think that this is connected with the upstairs loo, the boxed in waste pipe comes through the spare room and then out the house. There is also a downstairs loo at the same end of the house There's a poo smell, but really only happens in the early hours. It's not connected with anyone...
Replies
Views
S
Neighbour can smell sewage from our toilet. A very smelly problem – our neighbour can smell sewage from our toilet. We live in a semi-detached 1950s house. We can smell nothing. Our neighbour has tried really hard to investigate the problem, but can’t get to the bottom of it and it's really...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock