Search the forum,

Discuss smelly grant oil fired boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rhea

Can any one help? I had a Grant [DLMURL="http://www.grantuk.com/products/oil-fired-boilers/high-efficiency-condensing-boilers/vortex-pro-kitchen-utility-condensing-range/"]Vortex Pro Kitchen/Utility Condensing [/DLMURL]central heating boiler fitted in December and it stinks. Everything checked by several different experts - they are all at a loss. Had a new boiler fitted today and guess what it still smells!! Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a job for the Grant engineers... its there boiler and it would be under warranty.?

I know of One that smells badly from the flue gases outside. It is the 15-21 model. I don't think the next size models do this. What size is yours?

Sounds like a job for the Grant engineers... its there boiler and it would be under warranty.?
It is under warranty that is why they gave me a new one. Grant engineers do not have a scooby!

It seems to smell of Kerosene or a fuelly smell. I am a housewife who is having to learn about boilers the hard way! The smell seems to come from the gap at the top of the door. It is unpleasant and hurts your eyes.

Could be a leaking oil line joint. Was the line pressure tested before commissioning?

If you take the front cover off, are there any wet areas?

Odd that you have the same problem from replacement boiler! The 15/26 model is a very good boiler. I assume you got a complete boiler? If you think you have fumes, then turn boiler off, as can be lethal!
You will get a " new " smell from the boiler at first, for a day or two.
You may need another engineer in to check everything, - seals on boiler, burner, flue, & oil line.
NOTE that a small amount of oil in a heated room will create fumes that will not show on a co monitor. I am used to the smell of oil, but even this will make my eyes water!

If its still smelling its probably the supply line not the boiler.

The "new" smell should go in a couple of days.

Could be a leaking oil line joint. Was the line pressure tested before commissioning?

If you take the front cover off, are there any wet areas?

You got there before me! Sounds highly likely. Saw exactly this recently, with a boiler inside a house, - oil pump was leaking.

Is it a timber floor the boiler is sat on? Does oil line come up from under floor? Was a new oil line installed when boiler installed? Could be a compression fitting on oil line disturbed when new boiler fitted and now leaking.

Good Afternoon Rhea
I am sorry to hear you are experiencing an unpleasant smell from your Grant boiler. A smelly boiler can be caused by a number of things.
Unfortunately as I do not know your name, address or any details of the installation, I am unable to investigate this any further at the present time.
May I suggest that you contact our Technical Services Department on either 01380 736920 or email [email protected] to discuss this issue.

Thank you - Grant UK.

Welcome to the forums, GrantUK!

And many thanks for putting in an appearance!!! Hope you enjoy the threads where Grant boilers are mentioned - many here prefer them to all others and there are many positive comments, unlike a few gas boilers of other makes mentioned. (My second favourite boiler I'm afraid, mainly due to the fact that I live not too far away from my favourite make, but I know Grant boilers are good!)

welcome along grantuk hope you will be able to stick around and give advice where needed

You say the smell comes from the top of the door. Which door, the kitchen door by any chance?

I was called to a similar problem it turned out that the front panel had not been properly fitted / checked by the original installer, the fix was simple enough, remove the panel and check the baffles while it was off.

When re-fitting the panel / door on Grant or Firebird boilers alternate tightening the nuts on the panel eg. top left then bottom right, top right then bottom left, don't try tightening everything in one go because the door seal can be over compressed at one side and not tight enough at the other.

Basic stuff that any installer should do without even thinking about especially an OFTEC qualified installer.

Agree, you have to be extremely fussy with tightening the doors on all oil boilers.
Also check condition of seals / & door insulation.
For example, Warmflow condensing oil boilers use a rubber gasket for top exchanger door to seal against. It perishes rapidly & MUST be changed every year ( 2 max ), as gases will escape for sure!
As to oftec engineers, some are real engineers, some have no experience & have just done a day or two oftec course(s). You take your luck!

Normally would agree, but wouoldn't of thought this would happen on 2 consecutive boilers, when the latest one is brand new. More likley to have a weep somewhere, OR it had one, and it still lingering, depending where the oil had leaked perhaps on the ground under the boiler. Also make sure any openings where the flue and oil pipe passes through the wall are well sealed. A small gap around the flue, and the wind blowing in the wrong direction can cause a wiff. Sounds like you need an experienced Oftec engineer to thoroughly check this out cause no matter how many posts go on here, you won't bottom it out. Safety should come over price?

hello, new to this forum. Gas Safe and Oftec reg.

I would firstly make sure that the boiler has been reg with the manufacturer, then take it from there having Grant come out. ( in my experience, ive found them of no help at all, especially the technical help line, who "over subscribe" parts to be change for boilers!

Had this once and there was a slight kink in the feed pipe which had perforated where it went through a wall. Very slight weep at the back of the boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to smelly grant oil fired boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock