Search the forum,

Discuss Smell of gas around flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambrosia

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
got a call back to go to 1st thing
original job was landlord safety i did 4 weeks ago

since then tenant has been complaining of a smell of gas around the flue

landlord is trying to say its something i've done but i cant think what could be causing it

the gas valve wasnt letting by and passed a tightness test and i'm assuming the smell is only present when the boiler is fired up

boiler is a brand new ecotec 24 combi

got a call back to go to 1st thing
original job was landlord safety i did 4 weeks ago

since then tenant has been complaining of a smell of gas around the flue

landlord is trying to say its something i've done but i cant think what could be causing it

the gas valve wasnt letting by and passed a tightness test and i'm assuming the smell is only present when the boiler is fired up

boiler is a brand new ecotec 24 combi

Have you been back ? Advised them to turn off open windows etc etc

Was it a window open blowing poc back in

I'm assuming APPlumbing is meaning Did you put the FGA test point cap back on?

smell is outside, not indoors, smell of gas if there is any is coming from flue terminal

if nothing obvious shows up you need to carry out a co room safety test with your fga,good points re windows with pocs coming back in and the test point plug

first i would speak to the tennant and find out the situation they smelt the smell.

it could be poor ignition, baxi's tend to have a small smell of gas out the flue on fire up. check you have not distrubed anything then check for smell of gas on ignition and phone vaillant for there advise.

Personally I would have either gone straight round to the property or told them to call your local transco company, to visit and make safe.

I would never rely on a tenant's opinion to when it happens, is the smell ok to be left if it only happens when the boiler is on?

Probably not what you want to hear, but an extra job tonight I would say is essential.

Kev.

ambrosia, square with the landlord first of all whether they're going to pay for your visit! Personally I'd say something like, I'd rectify free anything that's my fault (unlikely kind of thing) but there will be a charge should it have nothing to do with me!

The smell could have been anything! IMHO :)

report of a smell of "gas " is ID and requires immediate attention by someone, if you are sure your work is good advise them to contact gas supplier they will visit and check it out, if nothing found on your side you have no unpaid work to do and get the credit of the ESP checking and confirmimg your work is ok, or "just in case" you visit yourself to keep your name in the clear if there is a problem, either way this situation must not have been left unattended

report of a smell of "gas " is ID and requires immediate attention by someone, if you are sure your work is good advise them to contact gas supplier they will visit and check it out, if nothing found on your side you have no unpaid work to do and get the credit of the ESP checking and confirming your work is ok, or "just in case" you visit yourself to keep your name in the clar if there is a problem, either way this situation must not have been left unattended

See. This is why we love you Kirk.

Kirk most condensers give a whiff of gas from the flue when they ignite. Depends how good yer nose is but i agree it should be checked.
Report it to the ESP and they will cap the meter. The gas regd guy comes out and says yes there is a slight whiff of gas as it is lighting. You need a new boiler :eek:mg:

There is a whiff of gas when i light my cooker but it works fine and is a danger to no one (unless i use it). Do you still get engineering judgement or common sense? Probably not.

thanks guys for all your suggestions

having taken this long to report a smell of gas as i suspected it turned out to be nothing, I just hate call backs, my office told me last thing yesterday so i went home trying to recall what i've done and stressing over it

anyway went to the flat this morning
stuck a gas sniffer in the flue, nothing
did an extra long tightness test, nothing
stuck a fga in test point, nothing
checked flame picture, nothing
stripped heat exchanger, nothing, stuck new gasket and reassembled

got the tenant to ring his wife (she was the only one who has ever smelt it), she said she has only smelt it occassionally and only when the boiler fires up

i did then however cock-up, forgot to re connect the ignition lead when i put heat exchanger back together, so when i ran a tap the tenant started jumping up and down going 'see see you smell that and now its really noisy' 'calm down, i havent finished reassembling it yet, and the cover is off'
this job would be easier without tenants

thanks again for all your help

Last edited:
Kirk most condensers give a whiff of gas from the flue when they ignite. Depends how good yer nose is but i agree it should be checked.
Report it to the ESP and they will cap the meter. The gas regd guy comes out and says yes there is a slight whiff of gas as it is lighting. You need a new boiler :eek:mg:

There is a whiff of gas when i light my cooker but it works fine and is a danger to no one (unless i use it). Do you still get engineering judgement or common sense? Probably not.

but you are risk managing your situation after investigating and with careful technical judgement, the OP hasnt visited a property which has reported a smell of "gas" a completely different thing, the OP should have visited or passed to the ESP, they would have checked then perhaps attached a "cause for concern" notice and as you say recommended a GSR visit and CONFIRM there isnt an issue, i use common sense (and would have visited) then once there i would have used engineering judgement based on what I found not what was reported to me by a potential bampot, how many times have you said something was AR and shouldnt be used only to be told to eff off, thats what you are up against

but you are risk managing your situation after investigating and with careful technical judgement, the OP hasnt visited a property which has reported a smell of "gas" a completely different thing, the OP should have visited or passed to the ESP, they would have checked then perhaps attached a "cause for concern" notice and as you say recommended a GSR visit and CONFIRM there isnt an issue, i use common sense (and would have visited) then once there i would have used engineering judgement based on what I found not what was reported to me by a potential bampot, how many times have you said something was AR and shouldnt be used only to be told to eff off, thats what you are up against
well put

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Smell of gas around flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock