Search the forum,

Discuss Smart Controls for heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jimplumb

Nest, Hive or Heatmiser: any recommendations?

To get really useful answers you'll need to provide more information about your current system and what you want/expect from your controls.

My advice is don't buy on the basis of potential energy savings (compared with a programmer-thermostat) or you'll probably be disappointed. You'll be spending money for comfort (maybe), convenience (possibly) and fun (if you enjoy gadgets).

I think I'd describe the current generation of smart controls as 'overcomplicated'. And 'expensive'.

To get really useful answers you'll need to provide more information about your current system and what you want/expect from your controls.

My advice is don't buy on the basis of potential energy savings (compared with a programmer-thermostat) or you'll probably be disappointed. You'll be spending money for comfort (maybe), convenience (possibly) and fun (if you enjoy gadgets).

I think I'd describe the current generation of smart controls as 'overcomplicated'. And 'expensive'.
Hi Chuck, I am an installer of oil heating systems and am starting to see a lot of interest in smart controls.
I've installed a couple of Heatmiser systems and found them a bit complex just wondered what other installers thought.

I am with Chuck on this , however its all down to the individual , lad I saw at christmas was adamant he wanted a hive , jive whatever and when it came out later in conversation he said the heating went on for an hour in the morning and an hour at night , Pfftttttt . He just wanted an app on his phone , I taked him out of it and in the end he agreed and said thank you .

I look forward to hearing the other guys opinions though

Fitted a nest in our own house and it's great we have S plan set up and was a dodle to fit.

Honeywell Evohome best of all. Easy to set up and can be expanded to give individual room control.

Honeywell Evohome best of all. Easy to set up and can be expanded to give individual room control.
I also put in the Evohome on my Worcester CDI combi with 11 rads and it is great but expensive to buy. I really like the ability to just put the heating in on in one room only at the radiator or from app without heating any other room in the house, this allows the room to heat up very quickly and saves energy. For me, the key attraction was more one of comfort and convenience rather than trying to optimise energy use , but the logic is clear you will also be saving energy it you are only heating the actual rooms your are using. I just could not see much point in the nests/ hives/atag ones/ Worcester Waves , which are single zone systems with pretty dials , I wanted to be able to control the heating schedule in all 11 zones of my house individually (2 bathroom , 4 bedrooms, 2 hallways, kitchen, utility room, dining & living rooms).
I got evohome relay wiring into the boiler done when I got it serviced, the rest I did myself . I also changed out the rad valves to honeywell ones , this is generally not needed but I did it to amuse myself. I have it all in about 1.5 years and I am very happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Smart Controls for heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form to fill in what do u need to sign off in england as building control said they dont give out forms like they do in northern ireland
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock