Search the forum,

Discuss Slow refilling toilet cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

My slow filling cistern is starting to bug me and would like to investigate why this is so. The cistern as I understand is refilled from a header tank in the roof space above the bathroom. I'm reluctant to start turning too many taps off considering I don't really know what they're controlling but there is a copper one next to the toilet which then links to the cistern inlet so assume if I turn off this tap it will stop the cistern refilling? It's potentially years since this tap was touched so hoping I don't have to put too much pressure on it to close/open. Could it be the flow to the cistern inlet from the header has been set too low purely by how open/closed this tap is? Is there a reason why it wouldn't it be set fully open? If it's not that I suspect an issue with the valve in the cistern itself but for that I need to empty the cistern first to avoid a flood?

Thanks for the help!

Could be caused by the washer inside fill valve is swollen or dirt blocking it or wrong 'nozzle' part fitted (high pressure but should be larger bore low pressure) if it is a standard ball valve type. The diaphragm washer on part2 valves expand out with age and restrict the flow.
Some of more modern valves have filter inside them could block easily.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the info. I assume this washer is located at the base of the stem of the fill valve where the stem connects to the inlet?

If its off a header tank then my guess it's just the diaphragm on the float operated inlet valve that has perished. Very simple fix. But you will need to isolate the water supply prior to replacing it. Lots of you-tube videos on replacing these. But only attempt it if you can safely isolate the water supply from the header tank. There should be gate valves coming off the tank or local service valve. If not then you'll have to drain the whole tank after tying up the ball valve in the tank. But this could lead to air locks.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Slow refilling toilet cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Suddenly my downstairs toilet stopped filling this week, I suspected a blockage in the filter or cistern itself, however after removal of everything it appears that there is no water coming in, its mains fed and no sign of leak anywhere , we have checked the isolation valve and its not faulty...
Replies
Views
Hello, First post, be gentle! Anyway, here's my issue. I have a Roca The Gap D-Trit close-couple toilet with integrated macerator in my secondary bathroom. In all it's a great solution for a problem location for a bathroom. However, the cistern has a typical european style side inlet pipe, and...
Replies
Views
My cistern kept overflowing randomly was told it was probably caused by the bottom filling valve failing I purchased one and a plumber fitted it and tested it and all seemed well, we where away for a couple of weeks and came back and there was no evidence that it had been overflowing but after...
Replies
Views
Hi all, apologies in advance for my ignorance. I have an old style toilet with what I've researched is a ballcock. The toilet was screaming every time we flushed so I googled and found it was the diaphragm valve that needed replaced. I bought a pack of diaphragm seals and attempted to change...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, My gravity fed hot water slows to nothing over 30 seconds. when tap turned off for 5 mins, tap will run again for 30 seconds etc. I have tried the mixer tap/air lock trick about 10 times now and still not fixing. I have drained the HW tank a little so I can inspect the 22mm out pipe at...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock