Search the forum,

Discuss sleeving pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andekoch

just wondering about sleeving in pipes chassed into walls.

In the scenario where a pipe comes down the wall (from the ceiling void) to feed say a basin it will need to turn 90 degrees to exit the wall.

How do you sleeve that? It seems to me that the best you can do is sleeve the straight section and then duct tape wrap the end of the pipe where it turns 90deg to exit the wall. In practice the sleeve will then only be good for expansion and contraction. Also if the drop is over 1.5m you will then have a longer than wished for unsupported length of pipe as the only supports will be in the void and where the pipe exits the wall.

what would you guys do?

Where I am it is mandatory to run all pipe work that is buried in walls and floors, in a light plastic sleeve, called a "gaine sanitaire", as per the link

[DLMURL="http://www.bricodepot.fr/fleury-merogis-ste-genevieve-des-bois/node/796"]GAINE SANITAIRE TRANSLUCIDE | Brico Dépôt[/DLMURL]

clips can be used, but the normal making good with plaster of Paris will hold the pipe work in place, and allow expansion and contraction without damaging the making good, the end of the gaine is cut back to be flush with the face of the wall, after making good

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably a bodge but in the past I have sleeved the copper inside 22mm plastic pipe and clipped that not the copper.

winston, that woudl work fine for a horizontal run but what about the exit at 90 degrees from the wall?
in my case the run is vertical so clipping the sleeving will not help support the pipe.

Plouasne, that is the other option i looked at (not the same produce but similar thing) but again was wondering what to do about supporting the pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
winston, that woudl work fine for a horizontal run but what about the exit at 90 degrees from the wall?
in my case the run is vertical so clipping the sleeving will not help support the pipe.

Plouasne, that is the other option i looked at (not the same produce but similar thing) but again was wondering what to do about supporting the pipe.

The pipe will be buried in the wall, and will be (or should be) supported by the making good, which is like a long continual support, and also allows for expansion of the pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to sleeving pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock