Search the forum,

Discuss size of heat dump ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLOD

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Does anyone have a formula for calculating the size of heat dump rad (rads?) that might be needed on a solar hot water system ?

thanks

Thanks for the reply markfxy,
I'd like to oversize my collectors a bit to get more solar gain in the winter months, hence the need for a heat dump.
I asked the question because I can't decide wether to wire the boiler via a relay and use the ch/hw system & pump as the dump, or to make up a dump circuit using old rads.

have you thought about using a drainback system you can oversize as much as you want without worrying about stagnation

I'd like to use evacuated tubes to help with the solar gain in the winter, and didn't think these worked too well with drainback systems although I could be wrong ?
I'm still thinking that oversizing, along with a decent heat dump could work well.

Hi BLOD,

You're right, drainback's not an option with evacuated tubes, so pressurised only. You can either use a high temp glycol such has Tyfocor LS. This is better at handling higher stagnation temperatures and won't sludge up or degrade as easily.

Also, activate the recooling/holiday option on your controller during Spring/Summer months to minimise stagnation.

Also, when filling the system, consider pressurising a bit higher as this will raise the boiling point. Remember to adjust the expansion vessel precharge accordingly and note the 6 bar rating on your PRV! All this depends on the manufacturers recommendations of course.

Back to the radiator size, you could stick the biggest double in you can fit (in loft maybe?) and divert with something like a Resol VA300 valve.

Cheers,

Matt

Evacuated Tube Heatpipe , they dont stagnate as they are self limiting. Its what I spec all the time

Evacuated tubes are fine for drainbacks we've never had a problem but the thermal shock can be can be a bit noisy. Its best to keep it simple a diverter valve is just something else that can and will go wrong and as glycol is so expensive any savings through the use of thermal will be wiped out if you have to change it.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Have any of you come across a non electrical temperature activated mid pos valve before?
I saw one a few years ago but didn't make a note of who made it.
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to size of heat dump ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Does anyone know a good, not super expensive, leak detection company in the London area?
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock