Search the forum,

Discuss Sink filling up then draining out slowly - please help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hk123

Hi everyone,

I would like some help with an issue I have. I had a extension done last year with building control all certified.

Over the past 3 weeks the water in the sink has not been draining quickly after taking off the kitchen cabinet plinth, I can see the problem the builder used 40mm pipes all around the kitchen until the drain and he has not added a vent. See Diagram below with lengths.

We have cleaned the pipes with a garden hose and there was lots of debris built up, also cleared the trap and I have also put an AAV but still the the water in the sink is draining slow. Finally even when the dishwasher is turned on the water fills in the sink first before draining.

Any ideas how I can solve this as my builder is not being helpful at all and not taking responsibility.

Thank you

Hiten

20170508_184203.jpg

Nothing to do with not having a vent on it. The problem is it shouldn't have as long a length of mere 40 mm pipe and at a slight fall.
You need to have proper gulley/soil pipe 110mm closer

Think the limit for 40mm waste is 3m. The limit for 50mm is definitely 4m. You can stretch the rules a little providing you have an AAV and rodding points.
As above, you'll get great results from a 4'' waste, but you might get away with a 50mm if that's not feasible.
The fall needs to be between 1 and 2.5cm per metre. Your falls are a little steep but better than too shallow.
The hose pipe might not shift grease, have a go with some soda crystals to shift it. Follow the instructions on the pack.

Drains from kitchen sinks and dishwashers always to block with fat eventually, it's only the frequency that varies. You can reduce the frequency by using shorter runs and larger diameters and trying to train your family not to let fat go down drains (good luck with that BTW...) but eventually you'll need the rubber gloves and some strategically positioned rodding points. If you manage to keep your 40mm clear you'll be rewarded by having to dig rancid fat out of the gulley. So, design for easy maintenance.

as above the pipe work needs to be 50mm you maybe able to clear the blockage with a ropump I HAVE THE VIREX VERSION its like a giant plunger that shoots a jet of water down the pipe , failing that there is a product called one shot which will dissolve the blockage but BEWARE ITS SULPHRIC ACID BASED AND WILL TURN CHROME BLACK SO PLEASE , PLEASE WEAR GLOVES AND EYE PROTECTION AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS regards kop

Thank You For The Responses. I removed the trap and with a garden hose cleared out the pipes I had the water running for 10 minutes but I'll try the soda crystals or something stronger. Also can I have the 40mm go into a 4m 50mm Where would you suggest I put the AAV on the above layout?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sink filling up then draining out slowly - please help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock