Search the forum,

Discuss simple plumbing question re water turn off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lockwise123

hi
many years ago i put in a mira 88 exposed valve (used in conjunction with my old back boiler setup) - recently i had a combi boiler installed and the mira 88 is not great but it seems mira 415 is best suited to a combi boiler setup.

anyway, thats neither here nor there. In order to remove old 88 unit i of course have to switch off water to it. Alas although the cold feed to the mira has it's own stop valve, the hot pipe to it doesnt.

So is it ok to turn off the cold water at the mains then drain shower until water flow stops? But more importantly, when i turn on the mains supply again do I need to do anything to the boiler or will the water find it's own way thru it etc?
thanks

thanks

so in short.....turn off mains, turn off combi, drain shower head, remove and refit new shower valve, turn on mains, allow water to flow for a while, turn on combi?

yes you can turn the boiler back on once you have cleared the air out the hot taps / showers etc

but
turn boiler off
turn mains off
drain shower head,
remove and refit new shower valve,
turn on mains,
clear air
turn boiler back on

thanks guys

i might take the opportunity once water is off and drained to pop a valve on the hot pipe leading to shower (it's plastic pipe).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to simple plumbing question re water turn off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I recently read a post / comment whereby there was a recommendation that if you are away from your home more than 24 hours, then you should turn the water off to avoid potential catastrophic damage. When I go away I have always tended to turn ours off, that's typically anything from a couple of...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
I've just replaced an Ultra SASF2 – M thermostatic shower cartridge together with the spring mechanism and the temperature sensor. My problem is this: If I install the thermostatic cartridge together with the spring mechanism and the temp sensor (i.e. do the job properly), the shower runs warm...
Replies
Views
I purchased 2x 1/2” tap gland for my basin because the hot one was faulty. I had to turn the stopcock of in the kitchen. I also had to turn off the mains on the pavement outside. I replaced the glands and the hot is working fine. But the cold tap does not turn off at all, with the new...
Replies
Views
S
Replaced thermostatic cartridge on mixer shower and now water won’t turn off feeding shower head. It’s a Mira agile shower.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock