Search the forum,

Discuss Shutting off water supply in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Need to do a relatively simple job(change washer on tap in kitchen), but the stop tap is seized, any idea if this is an isolation valve which will do the same job?
Many thanks.

Attachments

• 480581D6-CC93-4B98-9E0B-60E1CC21E594.jpeg
    480581D6-CC93-4B98-9E0B-60E1CC21E594.jpeg
    427.8 KB · Views: 22
Looks like an earlier Speedfit, similar to below pic.
BUT it wouldn't be wise to try and use it.
It's likely it will leak after,
You may end up with it stuck in to Off position,
It may shear off and you'll end up with a flood rather than a drip.

If you were going to attempt using it, it would be wise to know where to isolate up stream, possibly in the street, just in case.
But if you know where that is you may as well, isolate there instead.

Speedfit iso.PNG

You don’t, don’t use that as it will leak after

Thanks for your replies.
Looks like we’re screwed then,as we’re in a top floor flat, so turning the water off in the street would affect the other flats in the building, and would more than likely require contacting the water board 😑.
Thanks again.

Thanks for your replies.
Looks like we’re screwed then,as we’re in a top floor flat, so turning the water off in the street would affect the other flats in the building, and would more than likely require contacting the water board 😑.
Thanks again.

You should have an internal mains stop tap might be worth contacting the building owner etc if there is one

Depends on the age / layout of the supply withint the building but there may be individual isolation within the building.
Alternately a Plumber would be able to isolate the water, change the flat's stop tap and have the water back on before anyone else had any issues or noticed.

Or even free off the existing one.

I have access to the stop tap which is next to the immersion tank. Unfortunately I can’t get it to budge, it’s obviously seized due to limescale etc. Very frustrating.

Attachments

• BDC45CC1-9873-40A9-9879-829ED3E37A5C.jpeg
    BDC45CC1-9873-40A9-9879-829ED3E37A5C.jpeg
    470.2 KB · Views: 13
I have access to the stop tap which is next to the immersion tank. Unfortunately I can’t get it to budge, it’s obviously seized due to limescale etc. Very frustrating.
Get something to help turn the valve handle. Very rarely do they completely seize.

Turn it back and forward even by an 8th a few times and it should free up.

Make sure to brace the valve body before adding extra force to the handle.

I usually use the circle hole on the end of either an 8 or 10 inch barco spanner.

Reply to Shutting off water supply in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock