Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Shower waste pump overruns/stays on in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. inashed

inashed New Member

I have a wetroom space with an electric shower and waste pump which I think is a Whale product. It has been running fine for about 10 years until recently when it stays on after the water flow is turned off. Sometimes it will stop a little later and the pump then appears to operate normally after. Now it is stuck on. I cut power via a breaker and reset the pump but when I put the power back on it still runs. There is no water in the waste trap. When the shower is on it removes water as normal.

There is a flow switch on the cold water supply pipe into the shower. It's a black plastic covered cylinder about the size of a pencil and a couple of inches long. It is oriented vertically - is this important for it to work properly?

Where might the problem be located?

2. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Remove the flow switch and check the filters for debris.

3. inashed

inashed New Member

OK, the flow switch is not an inline flow but a sensor that is strapped to the outside of the 15mm pipe. I can't read it too well but the brand looks something like GTi (it's about 1/4inch diameter and 2" long) . I checked the shower waste tray and found no obstruction. I cannot see any filters anywhere.

Removed the wires from the flow switch and the waste pump cuts out. Reconnect the wires and the pump starts back up.

I used the shower and the pump extracts the waste water OK. What I did notice was some back pressure to a sink waste in the same area. Both sink and shower waste go through the same exit, eventually, into the stack at the rear of the property. I ran water in the sink and it flowed away as normal.

I have reset the main breaker several times so the pump would have been reset also. Is it likely the flow switch stuck on (not sure how this type works) or could the problem be elsewhere?

Flow switch is like this one:
    Measurement Specialities FS-10 MEAS Copper Bodied Flow Switch

4. rpm

Flow switch needs replacing by the sound of it.

5. inashed

inashed New Member

Thanks. New flow switch assembly on order.

6. inashed

inashed New Member

Have swapped out the flow switch for the new one. Switched the power back on and the pump started up with no water flow.

I've checked the shower gully and it is free of obstructions.

Any ideas or suggestions please? Could it be an obstruction in the pump itself (not sure how it would get there) or a circuit board problem?

7. rpm

According to the fault diagnosis flow chart the pump could run on for 30 seconds if longer disconnect the wire at the transformer if pump continues to run then replace the transformer.

8. inashed

inashed New Member

I found the problem. It was fitted the wrong way around! Now working fine. Thanks for all your help.

9. rpm

That was a cheap fix then wasn`t it :)
    TBH I`m surprised but I`ll try it out next time I see one.

10. inashed

inashed New Member

Just to be clear it was the new flow switch that I fitted upside down. It is installed in a vertical position so it is very much on or off. The instructions said it can be installed in a horizontal position also.

At the moment the pump stops immediately after the shower is switched off leaving a residual pool of water. Would there be a control on the pump assembly/circuit board to delay the pump off?

11. rpm

Pump should activate 15mins after the shower is turned off to clear the gulley.

12. inashed

inashed New Member

I've checked the shower gulley several times after use and it appears not to be evacuated by the waste pump because water just sits there. Also, since the pump is quite loud I would expect to hear it start up and I have not. Is there anything I could check? I think it is a regular Whale Gulper pump. It does its job OK, but are there any truly quiet pumps?

13. rpm

They can be adjusted but don't expect the gully to be completely empty.

14. sammathias

sammathias Plumber GSR

you fitted the new flowswitch in wrong direction and the pump started with no water flow...turnt it around and it worked normally??? that's a new one on me.

15. rpm

Haha, you don`t do subtle do you sam.

See post#9.